Golden Hawks sweep battle of Waterloo

The number two nationally-ranked Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ women’s hockey team faced the Waterloo Warriors in a double-header battle this weekend and took both games from their
cross-town rivals by a combined score of 13-1.

In game one on Saturday evening, the Hawks had goals from four different players, with second-year Vanessa Schabkar earning two points in the 4-1 victory.

Veteran Liz Knox and rookie Kristen Kilgallen split time in the Laurier net; they combined to stop 21 of the Warriors’ 22 shots.

In the second match-up, the purple and gold earned three goals in the first three minutes of play and didn’t look back, going on to trample the Warriors 9-0.

First-year centre Candice Styles continued her impressive rookie season, leading the team with five points – two goals and three assists – in the game. Styles currently leads all Ontario University Athletics (OUA) rookies in points with 18.

The Hawks also recieved two goals and an assist from captain Andrea Ironside as well as a pair of markers from veteran Kate Psota, and a goal each from Kaley Powers, Heather Fortuna and Fiona Lester.

Meanwhile, veteran net-minder Liz Knox recorded her OUA leading ninth shut out of the season.
Knox also leads the OUA in goals against average (0.66), save percentage (.970) and wins (17).

“It was really a result of our team’s effort,” said Knox. “Waterloo didn’t have many great scoring opportunities, thanks to the five girls in front of me, which made my job easy.”

The win moves the Hawks to 19-0 on the season, placing them firmly atop the provincial standings, 10 points ahead of the second-place Queen’s Gaels with eight regular season games remaining.
The purple and gold will look to remain undefeated this Friday when they take on the Windsor Lancers at the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex at 7:30.