Golden Hawks Fall to McMaster After Hard Fought Battle at Alumni FieldĀ 

Soccer player lining up for a corner kick
Emmanuel OpokuĀ 

The Laurier Golden Hawksā€™ men’s soccer team faced a challenging weekend as they battled with the McMaster Marauders in back-to-back games, ultimately falling short with identical 1-0 scores.  

The Golden Hawks started the game strong, setting the tone with a corner kick and two shots in the first six minutes of the match. Laurier pushed for a goal in the first half as they outshot the Marauders 8-5. The first 45 minutes witnessed both teams generating significant scoring opportunities, but the ball refused to find the back of the net for either side. 

As the game progressed, the tension built. It was an evenly matched battle, and it all came down to the 80th minute when McMaster’s Sachin Sargeant scored a crucial goal to break the deadlock. With the late goal, the Laurier squad found themselves on the wrong side of the scoreboard, and the match ended with a 1-0 victory for the Marauders. 

The second half was filled with high intensity moments. Laurier’s Andra Neptune received a yellow card in the 85th minute, reflecting the growing frustration among the Golden Hawks. Despite their best efforts, Laurier struggled to respond. A shot by McMaster’s Damiano Refosco was brilliantly saved by Laurier’s goalkeeper, David Carano, in the 87th minute. The game concluded with a yellow card for Refosco in the 90th minute, adding a dramatic touch to an already intense match. 

The Golden Hawks displayed resilience and determination throughout the game, but it was McMaster who emerged victorious. As the men’s soccer team looks ahead, they will undoubtedly use this experience as motivation to come back even stronger in their upcoming matches. 

Stay tuned for more updates on the Golden Hawks’ journey as they return home to Alumni Field on October 7th for Senior Day.