Golden Hawks Dominate OUA Quarterfinal GameĀ 

Laurier Men's Football
Laurier Men's Football

The Golden Hawks kept the pedal to the metal in the OUA quarterfinals with a 69-0 victory against the Waterloo Warriors. 

The tone was set early on as the Warriorsā€™ Johari Hastings completed one of his two interceptions. 

Taylor Elgersma and company went to work, sending Ethan Jordan into the endzone.  

Waterloo found themselves in an early pit, taking two penalties and setting the Hawks up to tack on two more touchdowns from Elgersma and Quentin Scott.  

Laurier started the second quarter strong with Raidan Thorne getting down to the Waterloo one yard line where Elgersma strolled into the endzone.  

After Waterloo forced a field goal, Elgersma sent Scott who dashed 53 yards into the endzone.  

Hastings made his presence felt, making the Warriors pay on his second interception. 

Tanner Nelmes then rushed for 40 yards, combined on the next Laurier drive to set Elgersma up for the 51 yard pass to Jordan.  

At half, the Hawks were up 45-0.  

ā€œHe had his typical one game statistics in the first half,ā€ said Lauirer football coach Michael Faulds. 

Elgersma converted on another single yard rush for his third rushing touchdown of the game.  

He exited the game with 20-22 pass completions. 

Alongside this, Elgersma had an impressive 90 per cent, 360 passing yards and three touchdown passes.  

Isaac Willis entered the game late in the third quarter and handed the ball to Nelmes who went 55 yards into the endzone. 

Darion Bacik-Hadden scored his first career playoff touchdown in the fourth quarter, the only points in the frame.  

ā€œItā€™s fun. Our guys are playing well around me, and Iā€™m seeing the field well ā€¦ We have guys that make plays whenever you give them the ball,ā€ said Elgersma, crediting the team for the win.  

ā€œWeā€™re super blessed to have a defense that creates turnovers for us, they came up big today.ā€ 

ā€œIt feels good … We came into this game with confidence.ā€ Jordan said.  

The Hawks move into the semifinals where they play the Windsor Lancers at University Stadium.