Foods that mirror the body parts they nurture

ANTIGONISH, N.S. (CUP) — Everyone has probably heard from a parent at some point, while feasting on chips or gorging on ice cream of various flavours, “You are what you eat.”

Well, there is some truth to what they were saying. Here are nine different foods that, by some twist of fate, look a lot like the body part they are good for.

Carrots

Slice a carrot in half crosswise and notice that the orange veggie resembles an eye.

Look closer and see a pattern of radiating lines coming from the center that mimic the pupil and iris of the eye.

The fallacy is true. Munching on carrots promotes and improves the health of your eyes. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene.

The body converts beta-carotene to vitamin A, which is a crucial ingredient for maintaining proper eyesight.

Vitamin A is also very important for healthy skin, growth and it helps the body resist infection.

Keeping your body supplied with vitamin A also decreases your chances of macular degeneration, which is a major cause of visual impairment in older adults. Something Bugs Bunny won’t have to worry about.

Walnuts

This tree nut may never look the same once you associate it with a miniature brain. Walnuts even look like they have their own right and left hemispheres.
Walnuts have a very high content of omega-3 fatty acids, which help support brain function. DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid that supports the normal development of the brain, eyes and nerves.

Walnuts are also one of the best plant sources of protein. They are rich in fibre, B vitamins, magnesium and antioxidants such as vitamin E.

It’s no coincidence that walnuts are nicknamed “brain food.”

Celery

Long, lean stalks of celery resemble the long, lean bones of the body. Celery is rich in calcium, phosphorus and magnesium, all needed for optimum bone health.
Celery contains vitamin C, and is a good source of folate, thiamin, riboflavin and vitamin B6. Celery also has the added bonus of helping in cold and flu prevention, as well as lowering blood pressure.

Avocadoes

The light bulb shape of an avocado looks like a uterus and, coincidentally, it supports reproductive health as well. The avocado is rich in B vitamins and high in folic acid. During pregnancy, this is very important since the folic acid is essential in the formation of the baby’s neural tube.

On a side note an avocado has 60 per cent more potassium than the average banana.

Clams

Studies have offered evidence that clams, which bear a resemblance to testicles, are actually good for the male sex organs.

Research from the Netherlands has suggested that supplementing your diet with folic acid and zinc, both of which are abundant in clams, can have a significant effect on improving semen quality in men.

Tomatoes

Slice open a tomato and you’ll notice the red veggie has multiple chambers that resemble the structure of a heart.

Studies have found that because of the lycopene in tomatoes, there is a reduced risk for heart disease in men and women who eat them.

Studies have identified lycopene as the substance responsible for the antioxidant effects of tomatoes. Recent research suggests that consumption of tomato products prevents the oxidation of LDL cholesterol — the bad cholesterol.
Oxidized LDL cholesterol is considered the primary initial step leading to the formation of plaque in the arteries and consequently to heart attacks.

Red wine

It may not look like a body part per se, but it does resemble a bodily fluid.
Red wine, which is rich in the antioxidants flavonoid and phenolics, including powerful resveratrol, looks like blood.

Resveratol, found in grape skins and seeds is found to increase HDL cholesterol, the good kind, and prevent blood clotting.

Flavonoids, on the other hand, exhibit antioxidant properties helping prevent blood clots and plaque formation in arteries.

Ginger

Anyone who has ever reached for a glass of ginger ale when they’ve had a stomach ache knows about the anti-nauseant effects of ginger.

So it’s fitting that the herb somewhat resembles the digestive organ. Whether it’s ginger tea or ginger ale, the effects are noticeable.

Once ginger hits the stomach, it promotes the secretion of various digestive juices or enzymes. This helps to neutralize stomach acid.

The phenols in the ginger help to relax the stomach muscles and to sedate the tissues of the stomach.

This reduces the over activity of the stomach, which in turn reduces nausea and pain.

At the same time the phenols increase movement inside the intestines and this helps to move digested food and toxins through the digestive system.

Sweet potato

Whether you call it a sweet potato or a yam, this vegetable looks very similar to the pancreas.

Sweet potatoes are high in beta-carotene, which is a potent antioxidant that protects all tissues of the body, including the pancreas, from damage associated with cancer or aging.

Those who consumed five daily portions of highly protective produce, particularly beans, carrots, citrus fruits, corn, dark leafy vegetables, garlic, onions and sweet potatoes reduced their risk of pancreatic cancer by 50 per cent.

Keep in mind that there are other benefits to eating these foods, and that not all foods follow this same healthy trend.