Fire department dispatched to Laurier’s Athletic Complex

Just before 8:00 p.m. on Nov. 14, the City of Waterloo Fire Department was dispatched to Laurier’s Athletic Complex (AC) as a result of a malfunctioning equipment in the building’s mechanical room.

Laurier Special Constables on the scene said they had contacted the fire department after reports of a strong electrical odour in the basement area of the gym.

The AC was quickly and safely evacuated and physical resources was called in to identify the source of the fire.

“A bearing seized or something,” said assistant vice-president: physical resources Gary Nower. “It’s not an unusual event to have a pump motor seize on a fan so unfortunately it caused a bit of a stink.”

Nower confirmed that the problem was being fixed on the morning of Nov. 15.

Comments are closed.