Finding a healthy balance in the summer

(Graphic by Adele Palmquist)
(Graphic by Adele Palmquist)

Last year for Orientation Week, I wrote a couple tips that first years especially should follow if they want to find a good balance between academics, health and sanity. I wrote seven different things that are important for the first-year student body if they want to make it through the year healthy, as well as successful.

I’d like to reiterate those for this blog. Yes, they seem redundant, and yes, sometimes these can seem so obvious or ridiculous. But going into my third year, I have followed most, if not all – mind you, sleep doesn’t come much as an editor – of these en route to success in my life.

Let’s take a look.

Get motivated

I hate having an unmotivated body. I hate sitting around, not doing anything. I feel like I waste the day if I lay in bed. While it’s nice once in a while to take a day off for yourself, just remember that motivation will keep your dedication for school, athletics, social activities, anything up and going. Find something to motivate you, whether it be a hobby, a weight loss goal, a new sports team, and push forward.

Drink ice water and green tea

You probably look at this and go ‘why ice water? I can just grab a water bottle.’ While water bottles are just as good, ice water speeds up your metabolism while keeping you alert longer. When you have those late night study sessions, grab some ice and a glass of water and your body will be more alert than that red bull or coffee.

In addition, green tea is one of the best things you can have in your body. Green tea has antioxidants that flush out your system and make you feel better, and keeps you alert longer than typical tea or coffee. It also speeds up your metabolism because of its tealeaves. Take it. Take it now.

Be active

Don’t let studying, or in the summer months working, hinder your life. I find that the best time to be active is in the summer. Get your runners and go for a late-night run, or go use some of the equipment at the athletic complex. Or, if you’re really strapped for time, do a couple rounds of sit-ups and elbows-to-knees in your living room. Yeah, you’ll look ridiculous, but your body will feel awesome.

Reduce stress

The summer is the perfect time to lower your stress levels. Without too much academic pressure to worry about and the ability to sit out in the sun and soak up some vitamin D, it’s possible to lower your stress entirely. Go out for some patio drinks, go to the beach, for a hike, or go to an amusement park. These small events can be huge in reducing stress in a busy lifestyle and can give your body a chance to just relax.

Be social

Just let loose. See your friends. Go out for a drink. Go watch a movie. Do something just because you want to. No only will you mentally feel refreshed to get you through your five-day work week, but you can feel your body alleviate the toxins from personal pressures. It’s simple, just be good to your body.