Final appeal rules Montoya ineligible

The final Canadian Interuniveristy Sport (CIS) ruling has found David Montoya ineligible to play at the university level and the Hawk’s football team has been forced to forfeit their Sept. 11 win over the University of Toronto Varsity Blues.

Laurier athletics director Peter Baxter said the interpretation of the new rule which made Montoya ineligible was “ambiguous” and reiterated earlier claims that the defensive end had been enrolled at Laurier in January, months before the ruling had been instituted.

“We presented those arguments, we had coaches from around the league who were involved in the initial decision who testified that there was intent to grandfather those student athletes in the system,” explained Baxter, “And the CIS argued on process in terms of the decision being made by the organization and ruled in favour of the CIS.”

The appeal was heard by the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada (SDRCC) and the ruling was announced late in the evening of Oct. 15.

“The decision is binding and so we respect the decision of the arbitrator,” said Baxter.

The football Hawk’s playoff hopes now hang on the remaining two games of the regular season – the next being this weekend at University Stadium against the Queen’s Gaels.

“We could make playoffs with just one win but we could also not make playoffs with one win,” concluded Baxter.