Fifth-year guard Ntore Habimana displaying his potential internationally with Rwanda

Current Golden Hawk basketball guard, Ntore Habimana showcased his talent in Tunisia over the past couple weeks after being selected to the Rwandan national team. 

Joining Laurier in 2016 as a member of Coach Justin Serresse’s first recruiting class, Habimana has been a pivotal part of Laurier’s basketball success over the past four years. 

“Ntore came a long way as a rookie season and I always had a lot of faith in Ntore as I saw his potential from day one,” Coach Serresse said.  

Habimana played in all of the team’s games in his second and third year both regular and post season. After battling injury last year, Habimana came back and provided a spark to the Golden Hawks down the stretch. Through his four seasons, Habimana played in nearly 80 games, averaging 8.7 points per game to go along with 4.9 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. 

After returning last season and playing well, Coach Serresse highlighted the competition factor Ntore brought to practice. 

“I know he would have a good game. He practiced very, very well. His team actually won every single scrimmage in practice since he got back,” Coach Serresse said last year. 

While born in Mississauga and playing his high school ball in the GTA, Habimana is eligible to play for the Rwandan National Team due to his father being originally born in his country. 

Habimana’s team went 1-2 in their three games this past week at the FIBA 2021 AfroBasket Qualifiers. As the host city, the country has already qualified for the championship tournament later this summer. The Golden Hawks expect a return to the court in the fall as Habimana could also have his eyes set on the African Championship before the season. 

Habimana was happy to have been selected and to be a part of three games at an international level.

“I’m not only here representing myself, but also my last name and a whole country, which is a great honour,” Habimana said of his selection in a statement. 

With the Golden Hawks optimistic of a return to action in the upcoming fall, Coach Serresse believes that Habimana can play professionally and that this will serve as an integral part in his journey.