Fall reading days essential to students

While many university students in Ontario, like those at Ryerson, get valuable time to rest and prepare for their fall-semester midterms, papers and finals, Laurier students are burdened by a crippling amount of work with no end in sight.

Similarly, post-secondary institutions like Sheridan College recognize the necessity of giving its students a break. It seems that once again, Laurier is falling behind.

The WLU fall study days committee met last week to continue the debate on whether or not Laurier will give its students a break during first semester. Unfortunately, the only thing that was clear was the fact that this will not be an option until at least 2014-15.

With seemingly no developments on the horizon, it leaves many students confused as to what the delay on such vital decision-making is.

While there is of course something to be said for the university doing its diligence before making a big decision like this, the process has been ongoing since early last year and the question needs to be asked, how much longer can the process drag on?

With so much attention being cast on the issue of mental health, you would think the university would consider the increasing stresses that students are put under and attempt to alleviate it.

During the winter semester students are given a week to recuperate and prepare for the incoming demands, yet they are not given the same consideration a semester earlier.

Debates surrounding fall reading days somehow devaluing Orientation Week are essentially, a non-issue. Starting classes towards the end of O-Week is not a significant change, especially considering it could mean those days will be made up by a slight break during the busiest time of year for students. As many students are cramming, pulling all nighters and rapidly wearing thin, students at other universities are enjoying their quick break. It is about time Laurier acknowledges the need for students to have time off not in 2014, but as soon as possible.

-The Cord Editorial Board