Editors Note: Nostalgic for 2018

With the fall term wrapping up and coming to an end, I think many of us are inevitably thinking about how we will be starting the new year.

Although looking to the future and setting new goals and resolutions is important, I think it’s equally as important to take a moment to reflect on the past year and everything it has brought.

It can be easy to throw each year aside, thinking about how last year’s resolutions still remain unmet or untried. And as such, thinking about starting a “fresh year” can be a comforting thought.

But for me, thinking about moving into the new year makes me nostalgic for 2018.

On a personal level, I think 2018 has been one of my favourite years so far. Just like every other year, this past year has brought forth it’s challenges and it’s also brought new opportunities.

All of these moments and people have taught me things that have made me better than I was a year ago. And for that, I wouldn’t change a thing about 2018.

It’s exciting to think back to how things were a year ago and reflect on how things have changed in ways you never expected them to.

To name only a few, this year brought me my job at The Cord. This year has brought me people that I now call my best friends. More recently, this year brought me one of the most important people in my life and it’s primarily because of this person — and all of these things collectively — that I will always look back so fondly on 2018.

I truly think that the unexpected things can be the best things to enter your life. And it’s because of all of these meaningful things that have happened that makes me nostalgic for the past year in the best way.

But it’s also because of these people and these moments that also makes me look hopeful into the new year, I’m so thankful for all the moments that I have had and I’m excited to hold those moments close as I move into 2019.

I’m excited for the new year and to keep moving forward and to see what the future has in store, but before I do, I think I’ll hold on to some of my favourite moments of 2018 just a little bit longer.