Dear Life: Jan. 5, 2012

Dear Life,

After being a student for many years at Laurier and having to endure the continued influx of students, lack of study space and library hours that are staff-focused, not student-focused. I typically avoid campus due to these reasons even though I pay exorbitant amounts to use campus resources. I arrived on campus at 7 a.m. on a Friday to get in some quiet study time prior to my 8:30 a.m. tutorial. I was looking forward to the typically singular quiet time on campus only to have the single study space available at the time filled with the offensive blaring sound of talk radio coming from a radio marked with masking tape as “Judy’s” radio, in addition to having to listen to “Judy” complaining about cleaning up tampons all across campus.

Sincerely,

Why can’t WLU train its staff on the need for consideration of the students, especially during exam time? I can’t wait to leave WLU and all of its reindeer games behind

Dear Life,

I’m apparently late on hearing about this conflict between majors. Are we really doing this? Are we five? I love my program and hopefully almost everyone else feels the same about theirs. Let’s get along, share the study spaces, and get our degrees without the fights.

Sincerely,

An arts student who lives with psych & business kids without all this conflict!

Dear Life,

I’ve been dying of curiosity since first year to know: What is in my ‘MPLUS Quarantine?’ I can’t login no matter what combination I use! IT get on this so I may satiate this curiosity.

Sincerely,
What if it’s important??

Dear Life,

Why can I find so many ways to procrastinate when I have things to do, but I can never keep myself occupied when I have free time?

Sincerely,

The Sad Story of My Life as a Professional Student

Dear Life,

There’s nothing quite like that feeling of accomplishment when you finish wrapping all of your Christmas presents. I’m looking forward to bringing them back home to live under the Christmas tree for a few weeks.

Sincerely,

The Elf in the Attic

Dear Life,

I just want to give a small thanks to the custodians who let us students stick around in the classrooms to study into the wee hours of the morning cramming for the big exam rush. We used to get kicked out, but it is greatly appreciated that you work around us now. You do a great job keeping our school clean, and your efforts are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ginger and a Business Kid; Ginger and I Have a Soul

Dear Life,

I find it really frustrating when arbitrary people email me through MyLearningSpace about some assignment/lecture/exam that I don’t have and have never heard of just because I also needed to register my iClicker for one of my classes. Either talk to people in your classes, or email your freaking profs! They’re here to help you! Use the help you’re paying for instead of filling-up my inbox unnecessarily, lest I decide to give you all of the wrong information!

Sincerely,

Frustrated enough with my own exams!

Dear Life,

Has anyone else realized yet that sending ‘Christmas presents’ to Africa only contradicts their culture and religion? Muslims don’t celebrate Christmas. Obviously I get that the principle is to send them things they’ve never had, and that North Americans are more likely to give in the Christmas season, but there should definitely be a re-phrasing of wording around this sort of thing.

Sincerely,

Just figured I’d mention it

Dear ‘Bitties,’

Next time you wanna talk about how bitchy your roommate is or how “white girl wasted” you were last night, don’t take up my valuable study space in the library.

Sincerely,

A Real Student With Exams Coming Up

Dear Life,

I’m not sure who is to blame for the communication break down, but college programs are not easier than university ones. Having seven exams crammed within a seven-day period with just as much course material as the courses I took at Laurier does not make for an enjoyable December. Oh and Life, next time you decide to throw this many exams at me with no designated study days make sure I make it to the grocery store to stock up on real food and Red Bull. I will not appreciate it if, within the next week, I die of a lethal combination of malnutrition, stress and boredom.

Sincerely,

Laurier Alumni/College Failure

P.S. I miss you Laurier

Dear Life,

4.5 years at this God damn school, and I still can’t get a fucking seat at the library during essay season.

Sincerely,

Fuck every single one of you, sideways, up the ass, with a rusty over-sized corkscrew

Dear Life,

It would be nice for a change to actually have a mentally stimulating Sudoku printed in The Cord — not one that I can complete with my eyes closed.

Sincerely,

I come to school to expand my mind

Dear Life,

In third year I took the very last exam at Laurier (23rd). Now my break starts December 6th. Karma? It gets better kids. Wait ’til fourth year.

Sincerely,

Thanks Wilf, Ya Came Through

Dear Life,

Exams suck. We are one of the last schools to get off for the holidays and are the first ones back. Personally, I’d actually like to have some time to recover from my New Year’s hangover.

Sincerely,

Bitter student

Dear Life,

I don’t know why I do things before I think, but that whipped cream was great. I’m glad my roommate talked me into having hot chocolate with it. Good times (GT’s).

Sincerely

The best sugar high of life

Dear Life,

I so don’t miss being a student.

Sincerely,

WLU Alumna

Dear Life,

I’d like to wish all the students at Laurier a Happy New Year and to remind them that no matter what empty promises their landlords have made, they absolutely have to shovel and salt their sidewalks. No excuses or exceptions.

Sincerely,

Diagnosed with osteoporosis at the ripe old age of twelve

Dear Life,

Having a casual conversation with a Laurier Hiring Committee Exec, I was informed of their veto power in the application process for O-Week positions. I was under the impression that these applications were done in a fair and unbiased manner. Apparently the veto power is being used to eliminate applicants based on feelings of dislike or gossip. I am disgusted by the immaturity of the hiring execs and the exclusiveness of the WLUSU crowd.

Sincerely,

STARR seems reeeaaalllll fair

Dear Laurier Library,

I don’t know if this is your way of saving money to pay for the St. Mike’s demolition or to make up for all the money that the dining hall loses but PLEASE turn the heat on in the library. It’s supposed to be winter outside NOT inside.

Sincerely,

It’s hard to be silent taking notes on the seventh floor when I’m wearing my winter jacket and it makes noise every time I move.

Dear @thegayhunter

I find it odd that you claim to have “haters” when only two or three people who read Dear Life called you out on your shit. Out of the countless who read and write for Dear Life.

The Arts Majors vs BBA Majors argument last month had more people offended and upset than what you wrote. I hope you didn’t expect to get away with calling someone an idiot on Dear Life and then pretty much signing your name at the bottom.You’re not funny, you’re obnoxious and arrogant, and what you wrote was offensive. # thisisnotatweetbtw

Sincerely,

You got what you asked for