Day-cations around K-W

daycation - online - paige
Photo by Paige Bush

While a lot of people love living in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, some may be a little too familiar with the region and are in dire need of a new destination. Whether it be trying new food, exploring new cultures or clearing the mind, these five destinations are perfect for your next new adventure.

WATERLOO PARK

You can still have an adventurous day trip without venturing far from home. Waterloo Park is a great spot to do just that and it’s located near Waterloo College Hall, a Laurier residence. The park features a splash pad, mini zoo, a boardwalk and many more amenities, making it the perfect place for a date night or a quick getaway from the stress of student life.

MILLBANK

Also known as the Township of Perth East, Millbank is home to one of Canada’s largest Amish and Mennonite communities.

Citizens of such communities live heavily simplistic lifestyles, providing the municipality with a large selection of handcrafted furniture, quilts and other unique artifacts. Though the town may be simple, there is definitely plenty to do on your visit.

Anna Mae’s Bakery and Restaurant is a famous eatery with customers driving in from all over the GTA to try their award-winning fried chicken and homemade pies. The restaurant also serves as a tourist attraction, with a small theatre informing customers about the Amish and Mennonite cultures as well as souvenir shop.

While Millbank is a 30 minute drive from Waterloo, it is quite a scenic and cultural drive. Living in a city that has a large financial and technological district, infamous for its innovation and creativity, can be driving out to Millbank quite enlightening.

BURLINGTON

About 45 minutes away from the Kitchener-Waterloo region, Burlington is home to many Wilfrid Laurier University students who want the freedom of living on their own and the convenience of  visiting home whenever they want.

This convenience is clearly needed since Burlington offers so many attractions worth visiting. The first of which is the Burlington Waterfront Trail, which is the perfect place for a Sunday stroll or a summer beach day. The trail includes locations to eat and drink, such as Hutches Fish and Chips, and serves as a great place to cycle, run, or even fish.

Lastly, what’s a road trip without some delicious treats? Kelley’s Bake Shoppe features a decadent selection of cupcakes, cookies, doughnuts, ice cream and more. All of these desserts are gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, peanut-free and vegan; combining healthy and delicious, one craving at a time. Some might argue that these sweets are worth the 45 minute drive alone.

WEST MONTROSE COVERED BRIDGE

When you hear the word “Waterloo,” you usually think of a lively and vibrant city filled with the young and, at times, slightly reckless.

However, there are parts of Waterloo to be seen that are actually peaceful and historic. According to an old legend, the West Montrose Covered Bridge was once used as a meet-up spot for a couple whose love for one another was forbidden by their parents. Through this legend, the bridge became a place where couples often spend time together.

Near the bridge is a general store with homemade treats and goods and a restored stone house. Any adventurous visitor should bring some lip balm if they visit; this local attraction is nicknamed the Kissing Bridge.