Darling moves on to University of Waterloo

(Contributed photo)

(Contributed photo)

After six-and-a-half years as registrar at Wilfrid Laurier University, Ray Darling will be assuming the same position at the University of Waterloo (UW).

“The position will be the same in title; however, because of the larger size of the school I will have a lot more students to attend to at Waterloo,” said Darling.

Ken Lavigne, who was the previous registrar at UW, retired on Jan. 10 of this year. Darling will assume the position on Mar. 17. Looking at the position, Darling sees it as a “natural progression” for himself.

“In many ways I see it as a promotion. UW has a much larger portfolio; I will have more staff to look over and more departments to report to. I think it’s a good progression and I accept the challenge of having more responsibilities.”

Darling began his position as registrar at Laurier back in 2007, following his time working at the University of Guelph. When he originally came to Laurier, he didn’t know what to expect from the school or working environment.

“When I first came to Laurier, I wasn’t too sure what I should have expected from the university. However, I quickly found that I would be working with a great group of staff, and the students were a pleasure to work with as well.”

Looking back at his time at Laurier, Darling says what he will miss most will be the people.

“I had the great pleasure to work with a fine group of colleagues and team at Laurier. I can speak very highly on the experience of working with such a strong team that helped make my job such a joy.”

Darling also taught a few classes at Laurier, which he described as a “pleasure” and something that he hopes he might have the opportunity to do at UW within a few years.

Overall, the past weeks have left Darling with mixed emotions.

“When I was driving to Brantford last week, it struck me that that would be the last time I might be down there and see the team there. As much as I am looking forward to the new position, it’s little things like that which remind me of how incredible my time has been here over the past several years.”

While Darling is leaving to assume more responsibility in his new position, he still appreciates his time at Laurier.

“I am very thankful for my time spent at Laurier, it has truly been a pleasure. I learned a lot from my time being registrar and teaching some courses here, and I’m looking forward to what the future can hold.”