Daniels signs pro contract

(File photo by Nick Lachance)
(File photo by Nick Lachance)

For the second time in his hockey career, Ryan Daniels is heading to the CHL. Only this time, he’ll be a professional.

On Tuesday it was announced that Daniels signed a pro contract with the Central Hockey League’s (CHL) Missouri Mavericks. Before Laurier, Daniels was a standout in a different CHL (the Canadian Hockey League) with Saginaw Spirit and Peterborough Petes, before being drafted in the fifth round of the NHL draft by the Ottawa Senators.

“I’m very happy to have signed a pro contract as it was something that was very important to me in order to finish off my career,” Daniels wrote in an e-mail from Missouri.

Daniels arrived at Laurier before the 2009-10 season and after a year splitting time, he emerged as a star in his second year. In 2010-11, Daniels earned Ontario University Athletics (OUA) West MVP and goaltender of the year honours, as well being named a first-team all-star and team MVP. He was named an OUA second-team all-star and team MVP in 2011-12.

His career record with the Hawks was 43-50, with a career save percentage of .921 and goals against average of 2.96 with five shutouts.
Daniels added that Laurier head coach Greg Puhalski even helped set up the opportunity with Missouri.

Signing what he called a “standard CHL player’s contract” with Missouri, Daniels will come into the fold as the team’s back-up goalie.

– Justin Fauteux