Collision on the corner of University and King

On the evening of Sept. 9, onlookers witnessed a horrific collision between a motorcycle carrying two passengers and a car driven by a single individual at the corner of University Ave and King St.

All three individuals from both motor vehicles were taken to hospital by ambulance shortly after the crash. Wilfrid Laurier University Special Constables were one of the first to be seen at the site of the incident.

Numerous witnesses claimed they saw what is believed to be a Yamaha motorcycle travel through the yellow lights on King St. traveling north. It collided with the passenger door of a Hyundai.

“He sped up into the yellow light,” said fourth-year Laurier student Karen Wiley, who was having coffee with friends at Starbucks when she saw the crash around 8:30 p.m.

Alison Linder, a Waterloo resident believed the motorcycle to be going about 70km per hour and the other witnesses present agreed.

“We don’t know who’s at fault and this point we’re still investigating,” stated Sgt. Scott Richardson of the Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRSP). “But two occupants of the … motorcycle are injured and were taken to a local hospital.”

The driver of the Hyundai was said to be slightly injured and was also taken to a local hospital for undetermined injuries.

Pat Hanson of Active Towing, who removed the motorcycle wreckage from the scene of the accident, said that two people can sit safely on the motorcycle involved in the accident, but that with the damage done to the windshield, mirrors and body of the vehicle, it was beyond repair.

Beth Lack of Cambridge and Wiley, who witnessed the accident, commented on the severity of the accident.

“Supposedly the motorcyclist went over the car, witnesses saw his shoulder bone,” Lack explained.

“They were just lying there,” Wiley said, adding that the ambulance must have taken longer than 20 minutes to report to the scene.

“I have no idea if they’re hurt or not, couldn’t tell, they were just lying there… all the glass was all over the ground.”

A short time after the collision, little was known of the identities of the victims.