Canada in brief

CanadaInBriefWeather experts predict a long, cold winter
According to weather experts, Canadians should brace themselves for wild winter weather in the coming months. Interchanging periods of intense storms and periods of calm are being predicted by Weather Network meteorologists. Fluctuations in temperature are also expected.

The weather pattern that will bring the swings up and down is dubbed “La Nada” by meteorologists, due to a lack of El Niño or La Niña in the tropical Pacific. These typically drive weather patterns in North America.

Ontario and Quebec will likely see normal temperatures, but the Prairies have already seen winter arrive with some early storms.

More minorities in Canadian prisons
Canada’s prison population – and the percentage of inmates that are visible minorities – have risen dramatically over the past ten years, new figures show. The overall number of inmates is now at an all-time high of 15,000, up from 12,000 a decade ago.

Visible minority representation has increased by 75 per cent in the last ten years. Black and aboriginal inmates are notably over-represented.

The Canadian justice system saw a rise in overall spending by 23 per cent in the past ten years, with a budget increase of 40 per cent for the Correctional Service of Canada in the past five years. The CSC budget now sits at $2.6 billion, much of which has been used to construct new cells.