Brood plays K-W despite blackout

Not even the forces of nature were able to stop Elliott Brood from playing a captivating show at Uptown Waterloo’s Starlight Lounge last Thursday.

Despite a power outage that affected the majority of the Uptown area and threatened the show’s possibility, fans anxiously awaited confirmation that the show would ensue.

Ten minutes before the show was to be cancelled, the band took to their Twitter and shared the desired news: “Looks like the show is back on. Nice work Waterloo Hydro!!!”

The band’s lyrically narrative songs, combined with rich gritty melodies, lean towards the genre of rock and roll revival — with an undeniably boot stomping rhythm.

Elliott Brood is notably influenced by military history, having been raised on stories of WWI. Prior to performing the ballad “If I Get Old,” vocalist and guitarist Mark Sasso dedicated the song to “soldiers who did not come back.”

Further hinting at their military inspiration, Elliott Brood’s members donned dapper outfits for the performance — engendering an early 1900s style — complete with suspenders, vests and fedoras. Playing under white patio lights and a backdrop of barren trees, it felt as if the band was playing a secluded show and we were the fortuitous audience.

The proudly Canadian band showed their patriotism by playing the song “Hold You.” The track, which was featured as Starbucks free download of the week, was cause for parody amongst the band, as vocalist and guitarist Casey Laforet proclaimed, “This one’s for Timmies.”

He proceeded to list his favourite order at the fast food chain [Tim Hortons], the undeniable sesame seed bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese.

The crowd erupted in cheers when the band played the opening chords of “Oh, Alberta,” from their 2004 EP Tin Type. The floor shook as the audience stomped their feet to the rhythm, grooving along to Sasso’s intricate banjo riffs.

Signed to Paper Bag Records, Elliott Brood is in the company of such bands as Broken Social Scene, Stars and Tokyo Police Club. The band’s newest album Days Into Years has been making waves since its release on Sept. 27.

After spending eight successive weeks in the top ten on the National Campus and Community Radio Association charts, Elliott Brood have secured themselves as rising stars in the rock and roll revival community.