Bringing light and magic to the real world

Photo by Madeline McInnis

After watching the newest installment of the Harry Potter film franchise, I began to remember the magic that the words of J.K Rowling brings to our hearts.

Now, when I think of magic, I definitely don’t mean the whole argument of whether it’s real or not in the context of the paranormal.

What I mean by “magic” is the freedom and power to imagine and let it bring happiness, even during times of hardship and pain.

When I think of magic, I think of  a life changing experience; I think of an 11-year-old Harry Potter being rescued by the wonders of magic, during his childhood that was filled with abuse at the hands of the horrible Dursleys.

As the years went by, I began to see how magic gave this fictional hero of mine the hope and imagination for a better world filled with happiness, despite losing many loved ones at the hands of unfortunate events.

As I think of the most realistic example of this paranormal force, I think of Lumos.

Lumos is a charity founded by J.K Rowling in 2005 that works to help the millions of children in orphanages and institutions regain their lives and rights to loving families.

After hearing Rowling consistently preach her mission to help these children, I believed that if she could change our perception of magic, she could accomplish this goal.

Behind some of the horrifying statistics, it’s sad that the children in orphanages and institutions are likely to turn to prostitution, drugs, crime and suicide.

As Lumos began its crusade, deinstitutionalization grew. In 2010, the Bulgarian government adopted Lumos’ philosophy, allowing them to adopt a national strategy on deinstitutionalization.

This strategy would outline Bulgaria’s vision to achieve social inclusion and the safety for all its children by stemming away from institutions and replacing them with family and community based services that would provide the love and care these orphanages failed to do.

I think it’s amazing how Lumos is not attacking and showcasing the workers at orphanages as criminals. Intead, it shows them how they can create a better environment for the children.

There is so much more to say about this charity and Rowling.

I would  recommend to anyone to look at the work Lumos has done to help children who suffer in institutions.

So many have found a loving family and the care they need to survive and be successful.

Lumos is a paranormal force — a lot like the magic spell needed in times of darkness and unhappiness in Harry’s story.

Magic can come in many forms and my idea of magic has always been determination and imagination to make the world a better place.

As Albus Dumbledore said, “Happiness can always be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.”