Board discusses policy changes, campus updates

Adjourned today at approximately 5 p.m., the Wilfrid Laurier Students’ Union board of directors’ meeting primarily focused on passing policy manual amendments and the addressing current state of affairs.

Max Blouw, president and vice-chancellor of Wilfrid Laurier University, delivered an address that described how both Waterloo and Brantford campuses plan to move forward to issues of growth and to announce the appointment of the new chancellor, Michael Lee-Chin.

The majority of the 16 policy amendments recommended by board chair Chris Walker were passed without much discussion. Regarding an amendment for the executive limitation that ensures environmentally sustainable means, director Jon Pryce put forth a motion to include an address by the president of WLUSU, each fall and winter semester, with the help of the sustainability office. This address, according to Pryce, would focus on making the board aware of sustainability initiatives on campus. The policy passed with director Sunny Chan abstaining.

In regards to Chris Hyde’s position of chief returning office (CRO) during WLUSU elections, the board passed a motion to hire an undergrad or graduate student in an assistant chief returning officer (ACRO) position in order to avoid any conflict of interest. This position would exist for the duration of training and organizing the union’s annual general meeting (AGM) that occurs in February. Hyde currently serves as the director of policy, research and advocacy under Nick Gibson’s administration, and this poses a conflict of interest as the CRO as a governance position requires Hyde to be impartial.

Other items discussed included ongoing Terrace construction and transition of its operations to Aramark, completed campus renovations and the Fred Nichols Campus Centre sign being out-of-order.