Beverage recipes that will keep your summer refreshing

Photo by Luke Sarazin

It is finally summer and while you may be dreaming of music festivals, cottage with the family,  or weekend getaways, your work schedule could be spelling out a whole different scenario. Summer means patio season. But, for those of us who are working 24/7 to tackle tuition, fear not. I have compiled a list of bar worthy summer drinks easy enough to make at home.

Rhubarb Cocktail

Sounds kind of crazy, right? But this drink is surprisingly refreshing and sweet, which means it’s perfect for summer.

Ingredients:

• 5 stalks of rhubarb
  • 8 ounces of your choice vodka (I use junction 56 distillery)
  • Sugar
  • ¼ cup vodka

Instructions

Puree:

1. Place your chopped rhubarb in a pan with water (to soften) and cook over medium heat.It should take about 10 minutes to pure.
  2. While cooking, add your desired amount of sugar for your preference of tartness.
  3. Place your rhubarb puree into a strainer. Using a spatula, push on the rhubarb to release the juice.

Mixing:

1. Mix desired amount of vodka with desired amount of rhubarb juice. Pour over ice.
  2. Rim the glass with sugar. Garnish with basil or mint leaves.

Caeser

Would this be a summer drink list without the Canadian classic? A Caesar must include clamato juice, vodka, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. From there, the sky is the limit; you can add a multitude of spices or garnishes. Bacon, celery stalks, and pickle juice are just a couple of the ​many things you can add to a Caesar to spice things up. Keep in mind though, that it has also been argued that horseradish is an essential ingredient to the Caesar.

Ingredients:

• Clamato Juice
  • Vodka
  • Lime
  • Salt and pepper
  • Horseradish
  • Worchester sauce
  • Franks hot sauce (you can use any hot sauce you desire)

Instructions

1. Cut a lime into wedges, cut a slit into the wedges. Place the lime onto the glass and rim it with the lime juice
  2. On a flat surface place salt or preferably, celery salt. Rim the glass with the salt (the lime juice ensures it will stick)
  3. Put ice in your glass
  4. Add a couple of drops of hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce (it is important to do thisBEFORE adding the clamato juice)
  5. Add one tablespoon of horseradish
  6. Add one shot of vodka
  7. Pour the clamato juice
  8. Mix

Rose – Rhubarb Sangria

Sangria’s are best consumed by the pitcher and that’s a fact. The following sangria is easy, so multiple pitchers won’t be an issue if that’s how you like to rock-and-roll. It does require you to make a simple syrup (a rhubarb puree again) but this is the only prep required.

Ingredients:

• 1 bottle Rose wine
  • 2 large stalks of rhubarb (for the simple syrup)
  • 1 Lime
  • ¼ cup Mint, diced
  • 2 cups Strawberries, quartered
  • ½ cup Sugar
  • Ice

Instructions

1. Combine water and ½ cup sugar into a pan. Bring this to a boil and then add your rhubarb. Cook until rhubarb is in a puree. Drain. Let it cool.
  2. Mix all ingredients into a pitcher. Let it marinate in a fridge for about 4 hours.
  3. Serve! I recommend serving in a mason jar.

You don’t need alcohol to enjoy these drinks, and can easily replace the alcohol with soda or juice. But, these are three great summer drinks that will please crowds, whether you’re on the patio, having a movie night, or just looking for a fun way to unwind.