Basketball Hawks fall in CIS quarterfinal

WINDSOR, Ont. — The Laurier women’s basketball team just didn’t have another upset in them.

After riding a run of improbable wins over highly ranked teams like Western and Regina to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) final eight, the Hawks had their bid for the first national championship in team history dashed by the Saskatchewan Huskies. Laurier fell 58-51 in the national quarterfinals to the number-two nationally ranked Huskies in Windsor on Friday afternoon.

While the Hawks gave the Huskies a scare, coming within six points late in the game, the purple and gold ultimately never recovered from the 11-0 run Saskatchewan went on to open the game.

Rookie point guard Felcia Mazzerolle led the way for the Hawks with 18 points. Meanwhile the Laurier fifth-years, Renata Adamczyk, Megan Grant and Mal Kohlmeier, who led the team to this point were virtually shut down, combining for just 19 points, 12 of them coming from Kohlmeier.

The Hawks will now go into the consolation round, where things won’t get much easier. The number-three nationally ranked Carleton Ravens were upset by the St. F.X. X-Women and will be Laurier’s opponents in Saturday afternoon’s consolation semifinal. The Hawks won the only meeting between the two teams, claiming 59-51 victory at home on Nov. 12.

Tip off for Saturday’s consolation semifinal is 1:00 at Windsor’s St. Denis Centre. The winner will move on to play for fifth-place on Sunday