Baseball Hawks shine on big stage

On May 30, the fourth annual Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Baseball All-Star Showcase was held at the Rogers Center and the team of OUA All-Stars – representing six different universities – defeated the reining 2009 OUA Champion Western Mustangs by a score of 4-3.

“[The Showcase] keeps getting better and better each year,” commented Laurier head coach and OUA All-Star assistant coach Scott Ballantyne. “OUA baseball players can play at a high level and this game helps to showcase that to the rest of the province.”

Laurier had five players named to the All-Star roster: veteran catcher and team captain Chris Pittaway, designated hitter Jesse Milanovich, Rookie of the Year pitcher Andrew Greenberg, outfielder Elliot Shrive and right hand pitcher Josh Robinson.

Greenberg pitched a solid two innings on the mound pounding the strike zone in his usual fashion, while Milanovich contributed a single. Pittaway had a pair of key plays for the All-Stars, executing a sac bunt and going on to secure the team’s win in the bottom of the 10th inning with the final out of the game.

Shrive and Robinson were unable to attend the event.

“Our guys had great performances and I am extremely proud of them,” said Ballantyne who is a chairman of the Showcase. “There were some great defensive plays in this game and it showcased the pitching and defence that is a big part of OUA baseball.”

David Fallico of the University of Toronto earned MVP honours, scoring two runs for the All-Stars and going four for five on plate appearances.

Western tallied seven hits – three of those being doubles, three unearned runs and three errors. The All-Stars had six singles and a single error. Both teams left 11 runners on base.