Ballantyne earns two honours

Laurier Baseball’s spirited head coach Scott Ballantyne has earned high honours for his hard work both on and off the diamond.

Ballantyne will be making his second appearance representing his country as a coach for Team Canada at the World University Baseball Championships, held in Tokyo, Japan from July 30-August 7th.

Along with this honour, Ballantyne has also been named to the Waterloo Region’s Top 40 Under 40 list. A graduate of The Laurier School of Business and Economics, Ballantyne is a long-standing employee at Ernst and Young LLP, where his co-workers nominated him for the award.

“It’s a great honour and very humbling” said Ballantyne. “I have a great support system at EY, within the Laurier Athletic Department, the Panthers Baseball program, and most importantly at home with my wife Amy and son Ty.”

Aside from coaching at Laurier, Ballantyne is also the head coach of the Junior Kitchener Panthers of the Inter-County League. On top of all that, he still manages time for his wife Amy, Laurier graduate and former cheerleading coach, and their newborn son Ty.

Ballantyne will be working diligently the next few months following Team Canada prospects, while continuing to recruit for Laurier.

“2008 was a tremendous learning experience for me,” said Ballantyne. “A lot of what I was able to instil in our program paid off in 2009 as our team was able to rise to the occasion and compete in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) finals.”