Bag ‘O Crime: Sept. 14-20, 2015

Reports on criminal activity from Special Constable Services

Crime Location: Off Campus

Reported: Monday September 14, 2015 at 03:36 am

S.C.S. responded to an off campus residence with WRPS for report of an assault that had taken place between two WLU students. No injuries were reported and WRPS conducted the investigation.

Crime Location: Athletic Complex

Reported: Monday September 14, 2015 at 02:32 pm

S.C.S. attended to the Athletic Complex to take a report of a theft from a student that had left her belongings in a locker that was insecure. S.C.S. officers reviewed CCTV footage with negative results. There are currently no suspects at this time.

Crime Location: Off-Campus

Reported: Monday September 14, 2015 at 02:10 pm

S.C.S. received a report from the faculty regarding some disturbing Facebook messages that were received from a student. S.C.S. will be completing a follow up with the faculty’s dean and the student that sent the messages.

Crime Location: Fred Nichols Campus Centre

Reported: Monday September 14, 2015 at 03:50 pm

S.C.S. received a report that a female student had lost consciousness while standing in line at the bookstore. S.C.S. officers attended and provided assistance to the student, who advised that she had not eaten any food that day. A family member attended and took over care of the student. Further medical attention was not required. 

Crime Location: Bricker Residence

Reported: Monday September 14, 2015 at 03:26 pm                 

S.C.S. received a report that an unusual smell was coming from the ventilations system in a student residence. S.C.S. officers attended and requested assistance from Physical Resources to locate the cause of the odour. It was determined that the odor was coming from generators that were being tested. SHERM department was notified of the incident.

Crime Location: University Stadium

Reported: Monday September 14, 2015 at 08:42 pm

S.C.S. received a report of a theft of a bicycle from the University Stadium that was locked to a bike rack. Unknown person/s had cut the lock and taken the bicycle. SCS officer reviewed CCTV cameras with negative results. There are no suspects at this time.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Monday September 14, 2015 at 10:44 pm

S.C.S. received a report of a male that was experiencing a panic attack at a student residence. Officers attended and assisted Residence Life Staff members with calming the student down. The residence life staff will be completing a follow up with student and issuing referrals as necessary.

Crime Location: Athletic Complex

Reported: Monday September 14, 2015 at 5:50 pm

S.C.S. received a report of a male that had injured his left shoulder attempting to lift weights that were too heavy at the Athletic Complex. ERT and SCS officers attended and provided assistance. The male was referred to Health Services for a follow up examination with a physician.

Crime Location: Bookstore

Reported: Monday September 15, 2015 at 8:18 am

S.C.S. received a report that a female student had lost consciousness while standing in line at the bookstore. S.C.S. officers attended and provided assistance to the student, Waterloo Regional EMS was requested to attend and provide assistance to the female. The female refused transport to the hospital and signed a release form from paramedics.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Monday September 15, 2015 at 8:40 am

S.C.S. received a report of female that had cut her hand at a student residence. S.C.S. officers responded and provided assistance to Residence Life staff with administering first aid. The female was advised to attend Health Services for further medical follow up.

Crime Location:   Parking Lot #10                 

Reported: Tuesday September 15, 2015 at 12:55 pm

S.C.S. assisted Parking Services with the removal of a vehicle that had a number of outstanding fines levied against it. It was towed by Active Towing to their impound lot.

Crime Location: Off Campus

Reported: Tuesday September 15, 2016 at 12:28 pm

S.C.S. officers, accompanied by W.R.P.S. and By-Law officers, attended to an off campus address and spoke with six Laurier students regarding their conduct over the weekend involving a 150 person party. By-Law officers had attended and had received no cooperation from the occupants. WRPS had also investigated a serious assault at that location at the time.

Crime Location: Off Campus

Reported: Tuesday September 15, 2015 at 4:31 pm

S.C.S. was made aware of an issue involving three Laurier students that were complaining about the disruptive and disrespectful behaviour of a fourth tenant living together at an off campus location. The issue had involved several minor assaults, however no one wanted to pursue any criminal charges. The issue will be addressed by the Student Conduct Administrator in order to have the student entered into a behavioural contract.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Tuesday September 15, 2015 at 5:02 pm

S.C.S. is investigating a complaint of property damage to the interior of one of the units on the 9th floor. Person(s) unknown using a sharp edged tool had carved several holes in the wall of the common living area. The R.L.A.C. in charge of the building was notified. Property Management was notified for repairs.

Crime Location: Mid Campus Drive

Reported: Tuesday September 15, 2015 at 10:10 pm

S.C.S. officers observed a vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed and squealing tires driving through the center of campus. The driver then parked the vehicle in front of a student residence on campus and exited the vehicle. He was identified as a University of Waterloo student. He was issued a verbal warning as to his erratic driving and verbally trespassed from all Laurier properties. No pedestrian had been affected by his driving.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Wednesday September 16, 2015 at 01:37 am

An S.C.S. officer on foot patrol encountered three males identified as Laurier students smoking a marijuana joint outside at the rear of the student residence. No drugs were seized and the matter will be dealt with by Residence Life staff for sanctions.

Crime Location: Bookstore

Reported: Wednesday September 16, 2015 at 10:48 am

S.C.S. officers and E.M.S. attended to the bookstore in response to a call for medical assistance. It was determined that a staff member had fainted. She was assessed by EMS and transported to Grand River Hospital for further treatment.

Crime Location: Science Building

Reported: Wednesday September 16, 2015 at 9:32 am

W.R.P.S. Communications contacted S.C.S. to advise of a dropped 9-1-1 call from a cell phone. The phone was traced back to a Laurier student. Her cell phone which had been in her backpack had accidentally gone off while she was in the Science building. There was no emergency.

Crime Location: Science Building

Reported: Wednesday September 16, 2015 at 11:30 am

A Laurier female student experienced a problem with her Visa card. She had attempted to use her Tim Horton points through her card. The card had been reported lost/stolen to Visa by the holder. The card had not been cancelled and Visa had placed a hold on it. There was no fraudulent intent. The complaint was unfounded.

Crime Location: Off Campus

Reported: Wednesday September 16, 2015 at 2:20 pm

S.C.S. received a complaint from a resident at an off campus location regarding the suspicious behaviour of a tenant that lives above him that owns a BB gun. In view of the recent spate of BB gun incidents this information was passed onto W.R.P.S. for them to investigate.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 12:11 am

S.C.S. officers attended to a unit on the 6th floor of a student residence in response to a complaint of suspected drug usage. A small quantity of marijuana and some drug paraphernalia was seized for destruction. Two female Laurier students will be dealt with by Residence Life.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Thursday September 16, 2015 at 10:40 pm

S.C.S. and W.R.P.S. officers attended to the student residence in response to a complaint of suspected drug usage in one of the rooms on the 3rd floor. A substantial quantity of marijuana was seized for destruction. A female Laurier will be dealt with by Residence Life.

Crime Location:   Fred Nichols Campus Centre

Reported: Wednesday September 16, 2015 at 10:20 pm

S.C.S. received a report of a number of people on the roof of the Terrace Food Court. The attending officers searched the rooftop with negative results. Surveillance video will be reviewed to attempt to identify those involved.

Crime Location: Off Campus

Reported: Wednesday September 16, 2015 at 10:25 pm

A female Laurier student complained to S.C.S. that she had a green laser light directed at her while walking east on Ezra St. towards King St. The attending officers were unable to pinpoint the exact source of the laser beam. This information was forwarded to W.R.P.S. in their ongoing investigation into BB gun complaints.

Crime Location: Seminary

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 9:10 am

S.C.S. took a report of a complaint of some graffiti that had been discovered by a staff member on a parking sign on the property. The attending officer noted that person(s) unknown using a black marker had scribbled an eligible ‘tag’ on a parking sign on the south side of the building by the parking lot entrance off Bricker Ave. There are no CCTV cameras in this area and no suspects. A work order was sent to Physical Resources for removal.

Crime Location: Parking Lot 3A

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 1:24 pm

S.C.S. assisted Parking Services with the removal of a vehicle that had a number of outstanding fines levied against it. It was towed by Active Towing to their impound lot. W.R.P.S. was notified of the tow.

Crime Location: Frank C. Peters Building

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm

S.C.S. received information that a male Laurier student who was banned from all Laurier owned/controlled properties via a Trespass Letter and also out on an Officer in Charge Undertaking from W.R.P.S. with a condition not to enter onto any Laurier property could possibly be attending a class in the academic building. It was determined that he did not attend his class and was not located.

Crime Location: Off campus

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 4:42 pm

S.C.S. received information that a male Laurier student had missed an appointment with a counsellor, and had emailed that he was having a breakdown. The counsellor could not contact the student, and WRPS were asked to perform a door knock. The student was located just after 1900hrs by WRPS, and deemed not to be a danger to himself or others.

Crime Location: 345 King Street North

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 8:30 pm

An S.C.S. officer on foot patrol found graffiti at 345 King Street North. The graffiti consisted of a spray painted stencil of a female praying. A work order has been submitted for removal.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 8:25 pm

S.C.S. spoke with several people regarding threats made by two first year students. Both students were dealt with by S.C.S. and Residence staff for their use of illegal drugs on Thursday September 17. Both then made comments about getting retribution on whoever reported their drug use to authorities. Two of the roommates were relocated for the night. No direct threats have been made at this time.

Crime Location: Library

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 10:13 pm

S.C.S. attended the library building, and spoke with a male who was observed looking at pornographic images on a public use computer. There was no evidence to suggest that the male was doing anything illegal at the time. He was identified, trespassed, and escorted off of WLU property. Further investigation will be done on Friday September 18 with the IT department to determine the source of the images that the male was viewing.

Crime Location: Albert Street

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 11:20 pm

S.C.S. attended the intersection of Albert Street and Seagram Drive at the request of WRPS. A male first year student had thrown a water balloon at a passing marked WRPS cruiser. There was no damage, and no officers were hit, so the student will be dealt with by the school in lieu of charges.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 11:29 pm

S.C.S. seized a glass bong from two students outside of a residence building. The bong was submitted for destruction, and both students will be dealt with by Residence Life.

Crime Location: Laurier Campus (cellular)

Reported: Friday September 18, 2015 at 2:00 pm

S.C.S. received a call from WRPS regarding a dropped 911 call from an individual on Laurier’s campus. A Laurier staff member had accidentally contacted 9-1-1 via his work cell phone. SCS Dispatch was able to speak with the male who advised that he was not in any distress or requiring assistance of any kind.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Friday September 18, 2015 at 2:17 pm

S.C.S. attended to the student residence following a report of a male student experiencing a possible mental health incident. Upon arrival the officers located the male in his room visibly upset. The male indicated he was experiencing a severe anxiety attack. The male was offered several support options. The male did not appear to be a risk to himself or others, and left in the care of family. Residence Life will follow up with the male upon his return to source out any possible support systems he may require.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Friday September 18, 2015 at 9:19 pm

An S.C.S. officer on foot patrol encountered two Laurier students and a U. of W. student smoking marijuana at the rear of the parking lot by the student residence. A small quantity of marijuana and some drug paraphernalia was seized for destruction. The Laurier students will be dealt with by Residence Life and the Student Conduct Administrator. The U. of W. student was trespassed from all Laurier owned/controlled properties.

Crime Location:   Laurier Place

Reported: Thursday September 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm

S.C.S. is investigating a complaint of a vehicle that sustained some damage to it while it was parked in parking lot #31 at the dead end of Sunview St. between September 11th – 13th . Person(s) unknown had pushed an empty shopping cart against the passenger door.

Crime Location: Off Campus

Reported: Saturday September 19, 2015 at 1:36 am

S.C.S. officers on mobile patrol noticed a large gathering of people in the laneway beside Frat Burger on University Ave. W. just west of King St. Numerous people fled the scene upon the arrival of the attending officers. It was determined that an assault had taken place. One male was suffering from injuries to his head and facial area. W.R.P.S. arrived on scene moments later and took over the investigation.

Crime Location: 345 King St. N.

Reported: Saturday September 19, 2015 at 7:40 am

S.C.S. located a transient male, known to SCS, sleeping in the underground parking garage of the student residence at 345 King St N, Waterloo. The male has previously been trespassed from any and all Laurier owned or controlled properties, and acknowledged this but was unaware that the property he was located on was associated with Laurier. Given the lack of signage in the area, the male was cautioned again and asked to leave the property. The male complied without incident.

Crime Location: Student Residences

Reported: Saturday September 19, 2015 at 8:41 am

S.C.S. located a female in the underground parking garage of a student residence. The female appeared displaced. She was identified as a guest of a first year Laurier student and had been separated from her friends and host earlier in the night after leaving Phil’s Night Club. The female, unfamiliar with the area, had no ability to access the residence. The female was escorted by SCS to her host’s apartment and reunited with her peers.

Crime Location: Stadium Parking Lot

Reported: Sunday September 20, 2015 at 2:17 am

S.C.S. officers on mobile patrol encountered two males with no Laurier affiliation in the parking lot at University Stadium. Both were identified via Ont. Health cards with no fixed abode. They had affixed their bicycles to a parking sign and gave an unreasonable excuse for their presence on Laurier property. No offence had been committed. They were told to leave and verbally trespassed from all Laurier properties.