Athletic Complex pool set to open Monday

Pending Ministry of Health approval, the Athletic Complex pool will be re-opening on Monday, Nov. 9. The arduous reconstruction, which began in early June, has presented several challenges, the latest of which pushed the anticipated September completion back until next week.

The extended process is necessary to make sure the pool operates safely and efficiently.

“The delay also ensures that there is no need for a shut down next summer to complete the project,” said Peter Baxter, director of Laurier athletics and recreation.

“One of the final structural repairs was the installation of a solar heat panel system to the roof. This will allow for the pool to operate with greater cost efficiency and a reduced environment impact,” said Baxter who added that the university has a goal of reducing its carbon footprint.

Another remaining objective for the athletics department is the implementation of training seminars to familiarize the staff with the new filtration system, as well as general site maintenance and posting the required signage.

As a whole, the reparation process has evolved from a near permanent closure to a temporary fix and finally to a significant overhaul that will expand the pool’s life by 20 years.
The pool will remain the only 50-metre facility in the region and operate with a heightened environmental focus.

The reopening of the pool will also allow for the Laurier swim team to finally resume practice in their home pool. The team has been travelling to the Region of Waterloo (ROW) Swim Club facilities in Kitchener – which can be a daunting task when practice starts at 5:30 a.m. – as well as renting space from the University of Waterloo.

Despite the challenges of not having a home facility, the swim team has raced well and kept a positive outlook during the repair process.

“The challenge has made us stronger in the long run,” said head coach Nandi Kormendi.

“When we get back home our training and racing will really take off.”
The mounting anticipation for both the student and local communities will dissipate next week, when the pool officially opens its new doors.