Another successful Laurier Dance Showcase

Even through the midst of midterms and holidays, the coordinators, instructors and dancers of Wilfrid Laurier University  Dance worked to prepare the Winter 2018 Dance Showcase, which took place this Sunday on March 25.

Laurier Athletics offers four different levels of dance for 14 different styles, all of which had performances in the showcase.

Nicole Lanzo, the advanced lyrical instructor this term, had the goal to move the audience in an untraditional way with a style that merges ballet and jazz.

“Being a lyrical routine, it definitely involves using more emotion and storytelling than most other styles of dance so I’m looking forward to my dancers being able to share the emotions they feel while performing to the song I chose,” Lanzo said.

The piece featured dancers styled in black dresses and included stylistic elements like a full turn section to Sleeping At Last’s cover of “Chasing Cars”.

“The lyrics in the song reflect losing yourself in the presence of someone else whether it be friendship or love, so I chose this piece with the hope that the audience will be captivated enough by the routine to feel the same way and be able to see the connections the dancers have with the song and each other,” Lanzo said.

The showcase had two times for the performances, one performance was at 12:30 p.m. and the other performance at 4:00 p.m., with both showings having a full house spectate as all the dancers performed their last 10 weeks’ worth of classes.

The Winter Dance Showcase was brought to life not only through those creating the dances, but the performers of them as well.

Michelle Callendar, a veteran of Laurier dance, who was featured in multiple dances presented to the crowd at the showcase.

“My favourite part about being a Laurier dance participant, and specifically being in the showcase, is the opportunity to continue dancing and being part of such a welcoming community, even in university,” Callendar said.

“The showcase creates such an exciting atmosphere for all the students involved.”

Callendar noted that the piece she was most looking forward to is Advanced Hip-Hop, which was performed to a medley of Chris Brown songs.

“It’s one of the most popular classes and is always an amazing performance,” she said.

Performing in her fourth showcase, Maya Saggar, second-year student at Laurier, was part of the advanced open dance class, which performed a piece by Sydney Faulkner, set to the music of Novo Amor.

“I’m most looking forward to getting to see all the other dances. Showcase weekend is the first time we get to see all the other classes’ dances,” Saggar said.

“The most rewarding thing would definitely be watching all the different dances and classes progress throughout the semester.” Rachel Hunter coordinator and advanced tap instructor, said.

“We only have ten weeks to finish, clean and make sure all the dances are stage ready and our participants feel confident,” Hunter said.

“It makes me so happy watching all the smiles on the audience’s faces at the showcase watching the dances and I love being able to watch the finished product come to life.”