A decade of gaming

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

PlayStation 2 (2001)

Perhaps the most hotly-anticipated game of this decade, MGS2’s myriad of plot twists, famously complex storylines and intuitive stealth game play cinched it as the top spot this decade.

What gamer will forget the controversy of the “Raiden bait-and-switch”?

2. Beyond Good & Evil

Multiplatform (2003)

A truly immersive gaming experience, BG&E is a true champion in gaming story-telling and plot direction.

The cut scenes, character development and visuals can only be described as cinematic.

3. Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem

Gamecube (2002)

Perhaps it’s cheating to put two horror games on this list, but the psychological unease created by this Canadian-made title is simply beyond comparison.

The game’s patented “sanity meter” led to some unforgettable scary moments.

4. Katamari Damacy

PlayStation 2 (2004)

A triumph in original, simple (and bizarre) gameplay.

Though not an indie game by any means, Katamari let studios know that even the most off-the-wall concept (rolling up Japan into a giant ball to rebuild the solar system) can be a roaring success.

5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Multiplatform (2004)

GTA secures a spot in the top five for its consistently high-quality releases and lasting influence on the video game medium.

Though other GTA titles were contenders for inclusion in this list, the size and open-endedness of San Andreas is impressive even today.

6. Silent Hill 2

PlayStation 2 (2001)

The beautifully terrifying atmosphere of Silent Hill 2, rife with symbolism and a remarkably coherent plot, is a true gaming experience.

7. Super Mario Galaxy

Wii (2007)

Whereas Sunshine was trite and felt like a tired Mario 64 rehash, Galaxy wowed with its gorgeous visuals and intuitive levels.

Though objectively not terribly dissimilar from past Mario titles, Galaxy is among the better games of this current generation.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

Nintendo 64 (2000)

Though Ocarina of Time will forever be remembered as the N64’s crowning title, it was the moody and surrealistic world of Majora that breathed new life into the sometimes stale Zelda franchise.

9. Rez

Dreamcast (2001)

One of the short-lived Dreamcast’s finest releases, this trippy electro-rhythmic shooter would set the standard for music games to come.

Rez’s synesthesia-inducing gameplay is a true sensory gaming experience.

10. Half-Life 2

PC (2004)

The PC gamers would have my head if this game didn’t make the list. Honestly, there is nothing else left to say about Valve’s astounding masterpiece.