77 COVID cases in Waterloo Region reported since Monday: Dec 1 COVID-19 update

Region of Waterloo Public Health reported 77 cases of COVID-19 since Monday. There are currently 561 active cases in the region, 27 people hospitalised and nine of those 27 in intensive care units. 

In the month of November, there were over 1,400 cases of COVID-19 reported in Waterloo Region. 

November’s total amounts to 37 per cent of reported COVID-19 cases since March.

The number of active outbreaks in the region has risen to 25. 

Ontario reported 1,707 cases on Tuesday, with 14,524 active cases confirmed across the province. According to CBC, the new infections have pushed the seven-day average of cases to 1,670, marking a record high in numbers so far. 

Grand River Hospital has temporarily postponed non-essential surgeries, as the ICU is currently at full capacity. The hospital has recently seen a surge in COVID-19 and non-COVID critical care patients. 

Health officials are urging people in the community to follow provincial guidelines by only celebrating the holidays with immediate family this year. 

“Residents should only celebrate holidays with people in their own households,” Region of Waterloo Medical Officer of Health Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang said in a statement to CTV News

The region is currently in the “red tier” in accordance with Ontario’s COVID-19 regulations, which limits indoor gatherings and the restrictions put in place at local restaurants and fitness facilities. 

According to updated guidelines, children aren’t allowed to sit on Santa’s lap for photos this year, and they are required to be physically distanced.  

Premier Doug Ford has encouraged residents to stay home, forgo get-togethers with extended family and not to host or attend any holiday parties, regardless of the zone a city is in. 

Close-proximity social gatherings pose a higher risk for spreading COVID-19, especially if people are removing masks to eat. 

However, people who live alone are permitted to join one other household.