World in brief: Jan. 26, 2011

WARSAW, Poland

The Institute of National Remembrance (IPN) has developed a new board game called ‘Kolejka’, the Polish word for queue, whose purpose is to show the downfalls of the communist regime in Poland. Dubbed the “Communist Monopoly,” players must wait in line to buy simple necessities such as food and clothing, where wild cards dictate the difficulty level of their shopping trip.

BAGHDAD, Iraq

Terrorists attacked dozen of Shiite Muslims travelling on foot to Karbala for ‘Arbaeen,’ a 40-day festival commemorating Prophet Imam Hussein, grandson of Prophet Muhammad. Three suicide bombers left approximately 60 dead and 200 injured, on what was the third consecutive day of major bombing, a tragic end to what had been weeks of relative peace. Due to overpopulated hospitals and increased violence, medical officials are worried casualties will continue to rise.

SEOUL, South Korea

South Korean, Reverend Han Sang-Ryol, was sentenced to 5 years in prison, after making an unauthorized trip to North Korea, breaching the National Security Law banning such contact. During his 70-day visit, the reverend allegedly made speeches commending communism and leader Kim Jong-Il, and condemning actions of the Southern President Lee Myung-Bak. Majority believes his actions were unlawful and harmful to the South.

NEW YORK CITY, USA

Attorney General, Eric Holder, announced the success of the biggest mafia infiltration in the history of the FBI. Federal sweeps spanning New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island have resulted in the arrest of 127 mafia officials charged with murders, extortion, trafficking and other crimes tracing back decades. The secret to the success of the raid seems to be the ‘shotgun approach,’ where 800 agents and police made synchronized arrests stemming from various investigations. Holder assures the media this is a giant step forward in the battle against organized crime.

-Compiled by Leeza Pece