Women’s volleyball falls to 1-6

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks women’s volleyball team falls to 1-6 after losing a tough 3-1 match against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues this past Saturday.

After scoring their first win of the season last weekend against Windsor, the Hawks showed great determination and won the first set of their match with Toronto, 25-17. However, the Varsity Blues later challenged the purple and gold with three extremely close sets and unfortunately for the Hawks, the Blues proved to be too much.

“I thought we had full control of this match,” commented Laurier head coach Luke Snider. “Unfortunately we weren’t able to execute a high enough percentage of the time to come out on top.”

Saturday’s disappointing loss was the Hawks’ last game before the exam break and has placed the team sixth overall in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) west division.

However, the team feels they are better than their record indicates.

“Even though our record is 1-6, I don’t think it reflects how we’re actually playing,” stated Hawks’ team captain, Tesca Andrew-Wasylik. “Next semester we’re going to come out and try and win as many as possible.”

Andrew-Wasylik, the Golden Hawks all-star of the game, had played phenomenally Saturday evening, contributing 16 kills, 15 digs and three assisted blocks. Other notable players include Sarah Rosso who had eight kills and 16 digs, Victoria Cowley with 23 digs and Lauren Carter who provided nine digs and 44 assists.

“What stood out most for me in this match was our ability to defend their left side attack as a unit,” added Snider. “We played very well and got a lot of digs and we really shut down their attackers.”

Saturday’s game saw extremely close scores in each set and provided an exciting game for players, coaches and fans. Both the Hawks and Varsity Blues challenged one another and tirelessly fought for the lead. Overall, Laurier’s attack percentage was an impressive .087 and Toronto’s was .050.

The Hawks and Varsity Blues matchup was undoubtedly one to remember.

“Honestly, each team is our biggest competitor,” Andrew-Wasylik added. “Each game we look at equal and we try to plan accordingly.”

The purple and gold won’t play again until after the New Year. In January, the team will resume its season when they take on the McMaster Marauders and the Guelph Gryphons at the Laurier Athletic Complex.