WLUSU opens house to students

This week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union is holding an open house to encourage students to stop by and deliver feedback about their services.

According to WLUSU president Laura Sheridan, this initiative has two main goals. The first she explains is “to let students know what the union has done this year, and let them know about our projects, the finances and also the opportunities that we provide.

“The second part is just as important, and is probably even more important: to get some feedback from students.”

With four months left in the academic year, Sheridan noted that WLUSU is interested to hear what students have to say about what services the union has provided thus far.

Sheridan stated that this idea came from her platform in which she suggested having an open forum for students.

“It was a big theme in my platform to provide information to students. However after putting more thought into it, I recognized that it would be more convenient for students rather than just having one event.”

The open forum idea morphed into the open house idea back in November.

The open house will relocate across campus during the week in order to reach a maximum number of students in each of the faculties.

Sheridan added that she is planning to take the open house idea to the Brantford campus later in the semester.

“It’s a little more difficult to choose a specific spot on the Brantford campus to reach each specific faculty. We’re currently working out the details to have an open house there later in the term,” said Sheridan.

“We’re also looking at the upcoming elections and the awareness they create to distribute some of these materials at events such as the open forum.”

Sheridan added that, depending on the popularity and demand of the event this week, WLUSU might hold another event later on in the term.

The open house will be in the Science Building today from 10 a.m. until 12:45 p.m. and in the AIRD building from 1 to 4 p.m. On Thursday, WLUSU representatives will be available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Schlegal Centre.