WLUSU board meeting: Oct. 23

Lasting just under an hour, today’s meeting of the Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union board of directors went by remarkably quickly, with few points of contention or serious debate on any issue.

In the president’s update Laura Sheridan addressed the reason why Pita Shack in the Terrace was closed over the weekend and on Monday, explaining that a pipe broke in the men’s washroom at Wilf’s causing a flood. The repair was made and Pita Shack opened for business on Tuesday.

Sheridan also shared some business operation highlights, explaining that sales at Wilf’s are up 40 per cent this year, and that Pizza Pizza and Harvey’s have sales approximately 20 to 30 per cent higher than last year.

Another issue addressed by Sheridan is that WLUSU is working with faculty associations, which may result in elected student representatives for the various faculties. These elections would run in conjunction with the WLUSU elections in February.

The board then passed executive limitations, which addressed compensation and benefits.

Director Andrew Fryer raised concern about an interpretation of the ends, and in the end four directors voted against the report Sheridan put forward.

The board also elected directors Sunny Chan and Greg Evans to sit on the grant fund committee, as they secured more votes than directors Michael Onabolu and Fryer who were also nominated.

In other business Fryer brought up an issue on behalf of director Jordan Hyde – who was not present at the meeting – who was concerned that the issue of a $300,000 budget misallocation was not on the agenda for today’s meeting.

Management explained that the issue would be addressed at the next board meeting, because they had only estimated that the discussion would occur this week.

The next board meeting will take place Friday Nov. 6 at 2:30 p.m.