Kyle Murray announced as the new dean of the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics

On April 19, it was announced in a news release that behavioural scientist Kyle Murray had been appointed as the new dean of the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics. His five-year term commences on July 1 of this year.  

Murray’s areas of research include business marketing and retailing, emphasizing the specifics that lead to bringing changes in business and society.  

Prior to being chosen as the new dean of the Lazaridis School, Murray was the acting and vice dean at the University of Alberta’s Alberta School of Business. While at the University of Alberta he was also the director of the university’s School of Retailing.  

Murray cited the reputation of the Lazaridis School as one of the defining factors that led him to apply alongside the school’s research-intensive faculty and commitment to students. “Including things such as the largest co-op program in Canada,” he said.  

Murray is dedicated to using his prior experience working for the University of Alberta to enrich the resources available at the Lazaridis School.  

“What I can bring is some enthusiasm, some opportunities in terms of expanding our reach and reputation in the community and beyond with both alumni and the general business community,” he said.  

For the Lazaridis School’s graduating class of 2024, Murray notes the importance of taking away the key messages learned while pursuing a degree in business. 

“Take the tremendous skill and knowledge that you’ve learned during your time at Laurier and apply it to making the world a better place. We have a lot of challenges in society these days, and business students have a unique set of skills to help solve those challenges,” he said. 

For the Lazaridis School’s incoming freshman class, Murray stresses the importance of getting involved on campus to learn skills that go beyond the classroom and making use of the resources available at Laurier. 

“There’s a lot of learning to be done outside of the classroom when you’re in university and I always encourage students to get as engaged as they can,” he said.