WLU reviews visual identity

Beginning this fall, Wilfrid Laurier University’s current visual identity will be undergoing a review in order to develop one that best suits the university.

An outside design firm will be hired to work with the university for five to six months to complete a review of Laurier’s current graphic representations.

Kevin Crowley, associate director of news and editorial services at WLU, stressed that the Golden Hawk will not be a part of this review and will remain a prominent Laurier symbol.

President Max Blouw said that the school’s crest and the seal will be examined in regards to when and how to use them.

During the Sept. 16 senate meeting, Blouw revealed a new six-word statement that will be used to represent the university: “Inspiring lives of leadership and purpose.”

“The new phrase, along with the visual identity, will define who we are to our stakeholders,” said Blouw.

“In this day, it is important that we have an identity that is recognized everywhere.”

The firm, which is yet to be hired, will decide if any of Laurier’s current symbols need to be refreshed; they will also suggest ideas for a new visual representation.

According the Crowley, any propositions made by the company will be posted to the WLU homepage in order to encourage students, faculty and staff to leave their input in response to the new visuals.

“Nothing will come as a surprise,” he said.