While you were out: campus news

Laurier receives bomb threat

On April 26th, Wilfrid Laurier University received an anonymous bomb threat to its Waterloo campus from a pay phone in Toronto. Upon receiving the threat, Laurier contacted Waterloo Regional Police Services and WLU Special Constable Services performed a full search of the Waterloo and Kitchener campuses, finding nothing. According to director of special constable services Rod Curran, the university received a similar threat in the early 1990s.

-Reported by Justin Fauteux

Dragon’s Den star visits WLU

On May 6, Wilfrid Laurier University welcomed alumni back to campus for Laurier Development Day. The main event of the day was a keynote address from the star of the CBC show Dragon’s Den, Robert Herjavec.

Herjavec, who’s son will be starting in Laurier’s business program this year, told his story of success, discussing the importance of gaining real world experience, not just academic success.

-Reported by Justin Smirlies

Laurier ‘thinks arts’

With a little less than a month left to decide which university they would attend in September, potential incoming first-years were given a sneak peek of WLU on May 7. The first-ever “Think Arts” event invited students who had applied to Laurier’s Faculty of Arts to come to the school and hear from Dean of Arts Michael Carroll, while getting a look at the campus and attending ‘mini lectures.’ According to the student recruitment office, about 400 guests attended.

-Reported by Justin Smirlies

Top political minds come to campus

In late May, Laurier played host to the 83rd annual Canadian Political Science Association (CPSA) conference. The conference brought over 600 political scientists from across Canada and around the world to WLU and featured a wide range of discussions hosted by an array of noted political science figures, including Laurier professors Barry Kay and David Docherty, who is now president of Mount Royal University.

-Reported by Justin Fauteux and Lindsay Purchase

Aramark takes over Terrace

This school year, WLUSU will not operate the Terrace Food Court. In early June, Students Union president Nick Gibson announced that Aramark, the company that currently manages the WLU dining hall, would be taking over operation of the Terrace, with WLUSU maintaining ownership of the business. According to Aramark, previously employed students will keep their jobs.

Initially, the change in operation was planned to bring a Spring Rolls Go and Subway –replacing Mr. Sub- to the Terrace, however it was recently announced that Mr. Sub would remain as part of the food court.

-Reported by Mike Lakusiak

CAS strike avoided

Early in the morning of June 16, Wilfrid Laurier University reached a tentative agreement with its Contract Academic Staff (CAS) members, ending any possibility of a strike like the one that occurred in the winter of 2008. The agreement was reached after 29 days of bargaining and has been ratified by the university. The union members will meet early this month to vote on ratification.

-Reported by Justin Fauteux

WLUSU board approves capital expenditures

At their June 16 meeting, the WLUSU board of directors approved three projects, while rejecting one. The board allowed a $40,000-overhaul of the WLUSU website, construction of the Union Desk, which cost a total of $79,159.83 and a $25,000 allocation to update Foot Patrol’s radios.

Initially, the board rejected a $60,000 renovation of the Hawk’s Nest, which would give Campus Clubs new office space. However, on July 22, a similar, but less expensive project –budgeted at $49,000- was approved, giving Campus Clubs new space for this school year.

-Reported by Linda Givetash and Justin Smirlies

Blouw re-appointed

Max Blouw will be at Laurier for another five years. On June 24, the WLU Board of Governors appointed Laurier’s president and vice-chancellor to a second term, which will start Sept. 1 2012 and last until Aug. 31 2017. Blouw has been president at Laurier since 2007.

-Reported by Justin Fauteux

Government invests in Laurier

On June 20, the provincial government announced it would be providing WLU with $72.6 million in funding for the construction of a new business and math building. The building, which will be known as the Global Innovation Exchange (GIE) will be built on the site that currently houses the St. Michael’s Campus. There will be no classes in St. Michael’s this year as the university plans on breaking ground early in the fall.

The $72.6 million in government funding will account for about 70 per cent of the project’s cost, as there is still approximately $30 million the university still needs to cover.

-Reported by Linda Givetash

Raffi, Dallaire, Kielburgers receive honourary degrees

This year’s crop of WLU graduates were joined by some pretty interesting company. Among those receiving honourary Laurier degrees in June were children’s music icon Raffi Cavoukian, Lt – General (Ret.) Roméo Dallaire and co-founders of the Free the Children charitable organization Craig and Marc Kielburger.

-Reported by Justin Fauteux and Justin Smirlies

Top math and science researchers come to WLU

In late July, over 400 experts from the fields of science and mathematics were on the Laurier campus for the 2011 Applied Mathematics, Modeling and Computational Science (AMMCS) conference. This was the first time WLU hosted the conference and it was the largest congress of its kind ever held in Waterloo Region.

-Reported by Justin Fauteux

Summer construction

As with most summers, several areas of the Laurier campus were under construction over the past few months, some projects funded by the university, some by WLUSU. WLUSU’s projects included a $600,000 overhaul of the Fred Nichols Campus Centre’s third floor, including the Two-Four Lounge and the WLUSU offices, the $100,000-construction of the Union Desk across from Wilf’s and the new Foot Patrol office located near the main entrance to the FNCC.

The university’s only major project was a refurbishing of The Concourse, which cost about $300,000. The project will bring new flooring, new furniture and more outlets, and, according to the university, improved Internet connectivity.

-Reported by Justin Smirlies