Where to study on Laurier’s Waterloo campus

Studying can be hard without the right place to focus. On Wilfrid Laurier University’s Waterloo campus, different places are open to help students focus during exam season.

Starting April 5 until April 22, the Library will be open 24 hours. All floors will be accessible and all group study rooms are available for booking. Slower times tend to be before 10 a.m., and after dinner for an optimal study area.

The Concourse and the 24-Hour Lounge, located in the Fred Nichols Campus Centre, continue to be available and open 24 hours a day. Both have areas for group studyng, but the 24-Hour Lounge has rooms available with white boards.

The Solarium, located beside the lower Concourse between the Arts building and the Student Services Building — where the Wellness Centre is — is open for 24 hours until April 22. However there is limited seating and tends to fill up around 10 a.m.

Academic buildings are also available for students. Bricker Academic, Schlegel and Peters Building and the Dr. Alvin Woods Building (DAWB) are all open from 6 a.m., to midnight. Classrooms are available in the academic buildings as classes are not going on and the DAWB also offers quiet study rooms on floor three to floor five. A tip for late-night studiers: classrooms tend to become available after 7 p.m.

The Science Building will be open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., from Monday to Thursday and on Friday, it will be open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. The building will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. A helpful hint is to look on the upper floors of the building for open tables and chairs away from the main area.

Other areas to study include the Dining Hall where all seating area will be open as study space 30 minutes after food service ends at night. It will close when food service begins again in the morning, as per the Dining Hall’s hours (found here). The Terrace will also be open to use the tables and chairs for studying space during the operating hours.