Unsigned: Laurier’s exam de-stressors might be missing the mark

As exams draw closer and closer, Laurier is preparing for the stress that comes with them for our students. But are the precautions that are being provided for students really accessible?

All of the de-stressing and mindfulness activities are great in theory. They should provide a break from the cramming to make time for ourselves. But at the end of the day, it’s just not feasible for a lot of students.

One example of this is the therapy dogs that are provided on campus. With so many people accessing the dogs, it can leave people even more overwhelmed with the stress of everyone around them is trying to simultaneously pet one dog.

The Wellness Centre is also crammed with long wait times for mental health services that are extremely important in stressful times. Unless you book early, you might not get an appointment when you really need one.

The scheduling of exams must be a nightmare, but having two or three exams on the same day puts so much stress on students. Of course, we could defer, but then we’re fit with a fine, according to the official Laurier website.

There’s also a stigma around asking your professors for extensions on assignments and essays. Most people are uncomfortable talking to their professors about the issues they are facing, so instead they suffer in silence.

In our experiences, professors are likely to at least try to accommodate you. All you have to do is to be honest with them and try your hardest to speak up when you’re feeling burnt out. It’s worth a shot, especially if you’re feeling completely overwhelmed.