Unsigned: It’s still a struggle for women’s representation in sports

With the Outstanding Women of Laurier award being awarded to Julie Karn last week, we were all proud to see the representation of women in sports.

But why is there still such a divide in sports, in regards to gender?

The idea that women are more fragile and need protection is dated, but it still seems to be the mentality in sports.

Women are told not to be aggressive. That becomes even more of an issue when you compare the aggression in men’s sports to women’s. Hockey, for example, is still non-contact for women.

It’s not like women are  less aggressive, especially in sports.

It’s that they’re just not supposed to let it out.

Women are still told to solve problems with words and men are still allowed to solve problems with violence.

The rules are just dated.

It’s not that everyone should be fighting — that’s visible from the injuries of contact sports.

But the rules should be standard in all play, regardless of gender.

Look at how female bodies are sexualized in sport.

Uniforms can be downright revealing to the point that it’s difficult to actually play.

Female field hockey players are still expected to wear skirts. Where’s the logic in that?

You’ve got fighting stars, like Ronda Rousey, who are made into sex symbols to market their fights. On the other hand, Serena Williams is criticized for being too muscular.

It’s still a tough time to be a woman in sport.

The OWL awards are a great step towards bridging that gap and accepting the accomplishments of female athletes, not just for what they’re able to accomplish with their bodies, but also what they are doing for the community.

The three nominees should be seen as role models in a world that is still boxing in female athletes to fit a certain standard that is both confusing and unattainable.