Unsigned: Having textbooks in the first few weeks is not feasable

With bookstore lines at an astronomical length the first few weeks of school, professors have to be sympathetic while students are unable to get their course materials.

Many students will test out a course to make sure it’s a good fit before buying their textbooks.

Though most can be returned, items such as course packs are a waste of money if the student ends up dropping the course.

The bookstore also sells out of books and there will be unrealistic wait times for these items to be restocked. In that time, students get further and further behind in their studies.

Essentially, when the books do come in, students are paying the same amount for a much smaller amount of time than the luckier students that got their books before they sold out.

Not all textbooks are available from other retailers either, leaving students at the mercy of publishers and the bookstore. Depending on your program, buying books at Chapters or Amazon may not be feasible.

Even when they are available online, websites also get backlogged and shipping times become extremely long.

The easiest solution? Online readings for the first two weeks.

Most courses have online readings anyway. It’ll dissipate lines and give students a chance to experience the course.

Opening a second book store with specialty items is also an option.

For example, business textbooks and access codes could be sold in the Lazaridis building to make lines a little shorter.