Unsigned: Destroying our paper does nothing to silence our voices

Graphic by Lena Yang / File Photo

On Nov. 22, hundreds of copies of The Cord were destroyed at several of our distribution spots. Shortly afterwards, a pile of ripped up newspapers were left on our office doorstep.

The response to these actions has been primarily beneficial, but it’s also provided others with a means to pick sides with their own politically fuelled debates.

It is important moving forward from this incident, that people don’t make speculations about the reasons behind these actions. Furthering the divide between two sides of the recent free speech controversy, many have used this to score political points regarding who they believe is responsible.

Currently, we believe that what happened to the newspapers is not affiliated with the content regarding Lindsay Shepherd that was in the paper last week. We are still waiting for more information to come out about this and everyone still doesn’t know all of the details regarding it.

Knowing this, it is important that moving forward the focus is placed on the behaviour itself, rather than the reason behind it. Beyond making assumptions regarding the logic of this conduct, the outcome has indicated that one person’s actions do not reflect an entire group.

Regardless, if they were against the actual cover and content, they’re not accurately representing any movement effectively and the outpouring of support from various sources has proven this.

The destruction of these newspapers holds more of an impact than what may be assumed.

Ripping up at least a few hundred papers not only blocked the flow of information to the student body, it trashed the countless hours of work put in by The Cord’s staff and volunteers, as well as the high cost that goes into printing these papers every week.

It is not up to one person or a group of people to destroy other people’s copies that they technically pay for with their student fees, hindering their right to engage with news and be informed.

Their goal — whatever that ill intentioned idea may be — is fruitless, as the paper has gotten more positive attention from this occurring than anything negative.

Our community is filled with various opinions and stances on issues happening in our world today. There should be other ways to voice how you feel if you’re against what we publish, all of which are open to people to communicate through in a productive and civil manner.

All Laurier students are welcome to volunteer to write for The Cord and use their articles as a platform to share their opinions. As well, you can also submit a letter to the editor or an anonymous Dear Life to express any concerns.

Though our efforts as a team were insulted, we won’t allow this incident to affect our work moving forward. Our integrity as a media platform has not been compromised and we work to incorporate as many voices as possible with the channels we have available to do so.

Amidst all of this controversy, we have come together to rise above these actions and prove that our voice as a news publication will not be silenced, despite those who try to prove otherwise.

This article was updated on Nov. 30 to reflect the following changes: The Cord is not funded through tuition, but instead via student fees, and that we currently believe the ripping of the papers isn’t connected to Shepherd, but cannot release information to confirm it due to an ongoing investigation.