Toronto welcomes the Filles du Roi  

Francophone culture is in the spotlight in Toronto, from Nov. 2 to Nov. 12, 2023. Shown to the public was The Kings Daughters, an original play by Sébastien Bertrand and directed by Karine Ricard. 

The show transports audience members to the hold of a ship on route to New France (Canada), where six women are heading as part of the female “battalion” sent by King Louis the XIVth in the 17th century. During the journey, the audience discovers the unique character of each of the protagonists along with their history and motivations. However, these candidates for emigration are not just anyone. Each is a character taken from a play by Molière. 

Photo by Larissa McLaren

An author in search of characters 

According to ONFR, the play brings to life the emblematic female characters of Molière’s plays by giving them a place in the history and “the author addresses more modern subjects while respecting the essence of the characters”. 

Since there is no main character, each actor and actress have their moment of glory during the play. 

Sébastien Bertrand was able to collaborate with his performers, considering their suggestions throughout all stages of the creation process.  

Photo by Larissa McLaren

Masking their language 

However, Radio Canada regrets that the actors were directed to erase their Franco-Canadian accent to get closer to the language of Molière: “in a play which celebrates feminine power, we regret that the heroines can remove the corset which compresses their chest, but not the one who comes to bridle their tongue.” 

If the actors had stuck to their way of speaking, they would undoubtedly have been closer to the pronunciation of 17th century French. 

Engaging for non-French speakers 

English speakers are not forgotten. The play is subtitled in English, so that all spectators can immerse themselves in French culture even if they do not speak the language. 

Photo by Julia Stratton

Friends of the writer Sébastien Bertrand came to support the play, even though they are not Francophone. “I was surprised by the humor that was in it, and I didn’t know anything about the story beforehand. I think they did a great job,” said Mary Lee. They were also able to wear glasses allowing them to see the script in English without taking their eyes off the stage. 

A play with a bright future 

It’s not often that Franco-Ontarians and Francophiles have the chance to immerse themselves in French theatre. Jocelyne Gonthier, aunt of the actress who plays the character of Armande, shares that she “[hopes] that this play will have a great future everywhere in Francophone Canada.”