Top five Golden Hawk headlines

1. Budget cuts hit Laurier Athletics

As part of the summer’s university-wide budget reduction, Laurier’s athletics department was forced to cut $380,000, or 16 per cent, of the previous year’s budget. As a result, eight varsity teams – baseball, figure skating, golf, rugby, cross country and cheerleading – lost their funding from the university.

2. The men’s baseball team win silver medal

The men’s baseball team responded to their loss of funding with the most successful season in team history this past fall. The Hawks lost to the Western Mustangs in the provincial final, giving them the Ontario University Athletics silver medal, after upsetting defending champions, the McMaster Marauders in the semi-finals.

3. Women’s hockey dominates OUA … again

The perennial powerhouse that is Laurier’s women’s hockey team somehow managed to improve this season, earning 53 of a possible 54 points in the regular season with their only loss coming in overtime in the final game of the year. They would go on to tie an OUA record with their seventh-consecutive provincial title before claiming the bronze medal at nationals. Goalie Liz Knox had an incredible season, winning the first national MVP award in team history, after tying the CIS record for shutouts in a season (11) and in a career (30).

4. Football team overcomes early season adversity

After a rash of early-season injuries – including a knee injury that kept starting quarterback Luke Thompson out for the rest of the year – things didn’t look good for Laurier’s men’s football team. However, thanks to a solid season from back-up QB Evan Pawliuk, and a defence that ranked amongst the best in the country, the Hawks finished with a 6-2 record, handing the eventual Vanier Cup champions, the Queen’s Gaels their only loss of the season.

5. Questions surround rugby program

After being one of the eight teams to lose funding from the university, Laurier’s rugby teams went through a year of uncertainty in 2009-10. In December, there was speculation that the program would be moved to the Brantford campus, then came the news of both teams’ head coaches resigning from their posts earlier this month. Just last week, it was reported by The Record that a series of infractions have brought the men’s team close to losing their varsity status.