This year’s board of director candidates

Board of directors

Alex Allevato

Increased Political Participation
Alternate forms of interaction
-BODcast; mini-surveys for policy development; 2-way WLUSU website interaction; mini-blogging to come up with manageable, reasonable and maintainable policy ideas
Sustainability Policy Reform
-Continuous energy conservation; draw upon current successes, reevaluate the future, and determine positive means to conduct sustainability policy; analysis of on-campus businesses in the aforementioned light to evolve sustainable policy in an efficient cost effective manner
Business Analysis for On-Campus Operations Exposure
-“What if” possibilities to increase exposure and revenues for on-campus businesses, which will create a more enjoyable environment for the Laurier student body; new usages of “dead space”; focus on attraction and minimization of costs
Greater publicity for the music department’s productions

Chloe Arbutina

I am running for student government because I believe that representing students and working hard for Laurier would be such a fulfilling experience to undertake in my last year here. My experience in federal as well as municipal government makes me a unique asset. I feel that I will be a great addition to the WLUSU BOD team as I have gained valuable connections that will in turn allow me to advocate for Laurier students’ concerns.
If elected I intend to examine where exactly your tuition dollars are going each semester. Lack of knowledge on campus pertaining to how the money is spent is an issue that is of great importance to me. I would be honoured to represent you, Laurier.

Ahmer Bhurgri

As a student who has seen numerous changes, I know the importance of time management, and thus I feel Laurier can accomplish a lot given the effort. As a proud Golden Hawk who has a great deal of experience with managing organizations, (i.e. campus clubs and Student Union) I know that my past experiences and potential will be extremely beneficial to WLUSU.
So what makes Laurier standout? It is the fact that we are extremely diverse, yet we stand united. Diversity is the key to our success, something I am familiar with. Therefore, I believe I will be best suited for Board of Director since I have the thirst for success, and the background to make it happen.

Ted Brown

My biggest concerns for next year relate to the economics of our school. I believe in saving money wherever we can so we can prevent the elimination of more tutorials, labs, and even courses wherever possible. To do this, we need to save money by eliminating wasteful spending, allowing us to focus on our education. I support green initiatives as well, provided they are affordable and practical, and I feel we need more transparency in the budgeting process so Laurier students know where their money is being spent as well as more communication between WLUSU and the students. Lastly I feel the terrace should be made more affordable, more efficient, and healthier. These are three improvements that could generate more business and thus more revenue.

Jonathon Collaton

As a third year Laurier student, I have been involved in a variety of volunteer experiences both inside and outside of WLUSU. I believe these experiences have given me a unique viewpoint that would be useful to the board. One issue in particular I intend to address if elected is the issue of space on campus. With a constantly growing population and a limited campus size, I believe Laurier needs to maximize its space wherever possible. Whether it is study space, social space, or a combination of the two, I think improvements can be made. I believe that the purpose of the Board is to look out for the needs of students and if elected that is what I intend to do.

Greg Evans

As a sitting Director, I have gained valuable insight in regards to how the Students’ Union operates and have developed several ideas by which the student experience can be improved and how to best represent students. As a student going in to my fifth year at Laurier, I’ve been heavily involved in several student groups and initiatives, both in and out of WLUSU’s mandate.
My largest initiative will be examining how best to restructure the Union’s governance policy to make both representation and implementation more efficient. Exploring other possible business ventures that can best benefit students is an absolute priority.

Trevor Faessler

Environmental sustainability, OneCard, study space, internet access. These are issues that the WLUSU Board of Directors should be addressing on your behalf. Please see the Facebook group “Chris Walker for WLUSU BOD and Senate” for details. Chris Walker wants to be on your BOD.

Paul Hawthorne

As a member of the BOD, there are several things I hope to accomplish. Improving the degree and quality of communication between WLUSU and students is always a priority. The students at Laurier are the most vital part to the success of WLUSU and developing better means to collect and communicate their interests is my first goal. Secondly, by measuring the varying degrees of success experienced by the recent sustainability initiatives around campus, we can implement the proper changes needed to make our efforts more effective, working towards creating a greener Laurier for everyone. Finally, exploring new ways to make WLUSU operations that are essential to the Laurier experience like Wilfs and the Turret more profitable are necessary to ensure the future success of WLUSU.

Kyle Hocking

Experience, hard work and dedication; these are the qualities that I pledge to you as I seek re-election to WLUSU’s Board of Directors. This year has been an important and productive one but there’s a lot left to do. If re-elected, I hope to work on reforming the Ends Policies of the Union to reflect more of an advocacy and lobbying organization. I hope to further my work on ensuring quality control of all WLUSU businesses and services and continue to work with the board on our market research initiative. Most of all however, I hope to continue to be your voice for important issues on campus and advocate for your needs and interests. www.kylehocking.com

Matthew Mendonca

My name is Matt Mendonca and I am in my third year. As a director I will bring my experiences at Laurier to improve on campus life. My primary focus is to improve visibility and accountability of student funds. I will also strive to ensure that sufficient study spaces are accessible on campus especially during examinations. I hope to promote sustainable policies as well encourage efficient environmental practices. I believe that students need to be better informed to further the growth at Laurier; this includes quicker action on student needs. As a student I feel that it is my time to give back to the Laurier and I anticipate your vote. Should have any questions please feel free to contact me at mend0970@wlu.ca

Chris Oberle

I am in my third year of studies at WLU pursuing a double major in History and Political Science. I am involved in various student groups around campus including Political Science Association, History Students Association, and CICDA (formerly ASAP). If re-elected to the WLUSU Board of Directors, I will continue to advocate on behalf of all undergraduate students at Waterloo and Brantford to ensure students are heard. I will work to enhance WLUSU services. I will bring experience and dedication to the Boardroom. Lastly, I will work towards increasing communication between the WLUSU and the Student Body. On February 4, I ask for your support. Vote experience. Vote dedication. Vote Chris Oberle to the WLUSU Board of Directors.

Michael Onabolu

As a current director on this year’s board I have gained valuable experience as to the in’s and out’s of what it means to represent students from a policy perspective. I have learned to be an adequate director. Now, if given the opportunity, I want to be better. If elected I will work hard to ensure that the future of WLUSU is a promising one. I hope to work on such things as the strategic action plan for the future of WLUSU, as well use the market research information from this year, to help write up the ends policy for the organization. A vote for me is a vote for experience.

Michael Passmore

The Board of Directors is faced with the primary goal of representing the student body. However, as I talk to people on campus I have noticed that a surprising number of students are unaware of what it is the Board does and what goes on during their meetings. In order for the Board to produce results there needs to be more communication between the board and its student body. Simply advertising upcoming meetings and providing details with regards to time, location, key agenda items and how to get involved will increase the lines of communication and allow us to get a better understanding of student needs and concerns. In accomplishing this we can get this university working harder for you, the students.

Adam Payler

As a relative outsider to WLUSU politics I feel like I bring a unique and fresh approach to student government. I think this is important because as a member of the Board of Directors you are not only looking out for the needs of those students involved, but the needs of the entire student body. I feel that I am very in tune with the needs of the average student. Therefore, if elected I will serve the students accordingly, focusing on the areas of: “Accountability, Productivity, Accessibility, and Opportunity”. To learn more about what these terms mean to me or to support my campaign, please feel free to join our Facebook event “Vote Adam Payler for WLUSU Board of Directors”.

Tom Papanastasiou

My name is Tom Papanastasiou and I am a second year Business student running for Board of Directors of WLUSU. My objectives as a director will be to ensure that all sections of WLUSU will continue to function appropriately within the targets that I and other Board members will set in order to most benefit you, the students.

Jonathan Pryce

Let’s keep this simple:
* Each director must be more active around campus and create a list of student needs to be presented during meetings. Essentially, students will have a greater voice in university affairs and get to know their directors on a larger scale.
* Create a program and provide more information about study spaces around campus during exam times. There are spaces; we just need to use them more.
* Videotape meetings so that all students are aware of what the directors do and what they talk about. Audiotapes are just awful.
* Have conferences for student groups to voice their needs to the directors. You’ve taken the time to form a group, the least we can do is listen and do something.

John Sampson

I strongly believe that the board must first honour three commitments within the student body. These, despite their austereness, can be none other than transparency, accountability, and the ability to produce results. If these three are followed, everything else should fall into place. The board must make it their mandate to keep students updated on their progress – or lack thereof – to ensure them that they are in fact doing everything they can to tend to students’ needs. Accountability should be established at the end of each month (or at allotted periods of time) where the board should: output what’s been done, what they’re doing, and how they plan on doing it. My candidacy stands for results, results, and more results.

Jennifer Solda

My name is Jennifer Solda and I am a second year Business student running for WLUSU Board of Directors. If elected as a Board of Director I plan to represent the Laurier tradition and the identities that unify us and make us unique as Golden Hawks. As a member of the board, I can promise the concerns of Laurier students comes first in every decision that is made. I will utilize honesty and strive to invoke necessary change to the university as problems and ideas are brought forward to the board. I want to give back to Laurier by utilizing my brimming enthusiasm to create an environment where people can share memorable experiences and grow together within the Laurier family.

Robert Thompson

I will represent the interests of the Students of Wilfrid Laurier University through the powers and responsibilities vested to me as a Director of the Wilfrid Laurier University Students Union. It is my first duty to know the policies that govern the Board of Directors and the Students Union as a whole, and learn how to effectively work within them for you.
My previous representative involvement with large organizations gave me firsthand experience with operating budgets upwards of $400 Million. I have extensive hours in Board settings and have chaired committees of my own. I earned these previous representative positions and would like your vote as I can transfer those skills to this position. I will work efficiently and effectively for you.

Chris Walker

Seth Warren

“Triple A” Approach
Accessibility – to me, and to the other members of the Board.
I am committed to making myself visible and available to both Waterloo and Brantford students, and will work toward improving the forums by which all directors can be contacted.
Leading to:
Action – being taken on issues that student’s feel strongly about.
Too many of the most important issues get overlooked because Directors feel as if the issues are beyond their jurisdiction. These issues are brought forward by students on a daily basis. As representatives, it is the responsibility of the B.O.D. to address these issues despite uncertainties.
Followed by:
Accountability – for actions or inactions which have adverse effects on student life at both Waterloo and Brantford campuses.

Board of governors (acclaimed)

Omar Shah

No platform submitted.

SBE president (acclaimed)

Aneesh Lal

The School of Business & Economics (SBE) is home to enthusiastic student leaders. . A strong representation of these leaders is present in both the School of Business and Economics Students’ Society (SBESS) and SBE clubs. I aim to establish a more holistic, spirited and effective SBE community by working with these business leaders to improve the quality of student life.
If elected, I pledge that I will:
– Continue building a strong relationship with WLUSU based on open communication, collaborative problem solving and mutual respect
– Increase external funding for the SBESS and its clubs through increased sponsorship efforts
– Continue to strengthen the SBESS program offerings through stronger internal processes for volunteer training and development
– Collaborate with other faculty associations and student groups on mutually beneficial projects
– Promote the benefits of volunteerism to increase involvement within the SBE My position as SBESS Clubs Coordinator this year has shown a need for additional resources within the SBE and the extraordinary efforts required to acquire them. With additional financial and support resources, the SBE can continue to improve the quality of programming and present a stronger Laurier to investors, recruiters and the student body.
I would be honoured to serve as the SBE’s representative to WLUSU and feel that my past experience, dedication and vision for our faculty makes me a strong candidate for the position of SBESS President. I look forward to the election on February 4th and encourage all Laurier students to come out and vote.

Senate candidates

Mike Alfieri

The opportunity to represent the students of Laurier fills me with great pride. The embodiment of students at this school is unlike any I have ever witnessed. The passion and enthusiasm that surrounds this campus is almost overwhelming; whether it’s a Hawks game or just another night at the Turret, the campus comes alive. This energy is well deserved; Laurier has a lot to be proud of. YOU have a lot to be proud of. As a Senate member I will help to ensure Laurier maintains its strong academic vision, placing WLUSU’s sights on the interests of the students, directing the University forward, and providing our students with the same respect they show Laurier. My devotion to WLUSU and the students of Laurier is unmatched.

Ted Brown

Alisha Mallory

My name is Alishia Mallory and I am a third year Classics major. I am also the current VP of Finance for CICDA (formerly ASAP Committee). The Senate is the highest academic body at WLU and therefore it is very important that students concerns are addressed. I will take the time to resolve these concerns and ensure the high quality of education here at Laurier. As a Senator, I intend to become more involved with student academic affairs by joining several committees. I would like to be a part of the Academic Planning committee so that I can aid in the direction of programs here at Laurier. I also hope to join the Student Appeals committee.
On February 4th Vote Alishia Mallory for WLU Senate.

Emily Slofstra

Even while on exchange in Amsterdam, I am running for WLU Senator to ensure that students are properly represented at the university in the next few years. In the last three years I have been involved with WLUSU, WLUSP, LSPIRG, and Laurier International and want students from all areas of Laurier to have a voice at Senate. I have also been involved at the academic level; I was elected to represent my year at the Geography Department Faculty-in-Council for three years running, and my goal is to allow for better communication between administration and the student body. A strong student voice is essential at the upper levels of the University, and I intend to provide that in the coming school year.

Chris Walker

When was the last time a Student Senator asked you what academic issues you are facing? Get the representation you deserve. Please see the Facebook group “Chris Walker for WLUSU BOD and Senate” for details.

Omar Shah

No platform submitted.