The search for Jeopardy’s new host

The search for Jeopardy’s new, full-time host continues! However, for the time being, a herd of guest judges will be filling in for the late, great, Alex Trebek.

One of the hosts being featured is Aaron Rodgers, best known as quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. However, he’s proven to be quite the contestant on Jeopardy! 

During their 2015 season, Aaron Rodgers was a contestant during an episode of Celebrity Jeopardy alongside Shark Tank’s Kevin O’Leary and former astronaut Mark Kelly. Rodgers would go on to win the episode, outsmarting two men many would classify as overtly intelligent.

Regardless of your loyalty towards whatever team you cheer for, it’s safe to say Aaron Rodgers has had a pretty good year. Not only has he announced his engagement, taken his team to their second consecutive conference final game and won NFL MVP, he’s also scheduled to host 10 episodes of Jeopardy!

Since the death of Alex Trebek late last year, Jeopardy! has been in search of their new, full-time host. In the meantime, guest hosts have been filling in, doing their best to live up to the standard set by Trebek.

The list of scheduled guest hosts is impressively long. Jeopardy! will soon feature the names of Dr. Mehmet Oz, Anderson Cooper, Katie Couric, Bill Whittaker and of course, Aaron Rodgers.

Recently, fans have been subjected to the likes of Ken Jennings, one of Jeopardy’s all-time winning contestants, as the guest host. Although mixed reviews have come in, Jennings got the job done.

“Let’s be totally clear, no one will ever replace the great Alex Trebek,” said Jennings during his first hosting of the show. “But we can honour him by playing the game he loved.”

However, the show’s executive producer Mike Richards is making his own push amongst fans as the eventual, permanent host. Since Feb. 22, Richards has been filling in for the time being and the majority of fans online seem to hope he sticks around.

But until a decision can be made, the carousel of guests will continue to spin, featuring NFL favourite—or public enemy #1, according to most Minnesotans—Aaron Rodgers, who will host 10 episodes from April 5 through April 16.

There is a catch, however—a rather commendable one. Rodgers, along with all other guest hosts, have agreed that the cumulative money the contestants win while they are hosting will then go towards a charitable donation.

No one can replace Alex Trebek, there’s no denying that, but eventually someone will have to take the job. As of now, Richards seems like the show’s best option; however, nothing is set in stone.

“Alex was a legend, revered by all of us,” said Richards. “I want to thank our guest hosts, who will not only help all of us celebrate his great legacy, but also bring their own touch to the show.”

Jeopardy’s current season will also feature their first female host in the show’s long running history. Come Mar. 8, journalist Katie Couric will dawn the stage, marking the progression of today’s era of popular media.
It’s an important season for our beloved game show, a season that will set the tone for the many years of Jeopardy! that follows. At the very least, let’s just hope Aaron Rodgers doesn’t blow Final Jeopardy! like he did against Tom Brady in the playoffs.