Student asked not to “stilt” on campus

Last Wednesday evening around 8 p.m. Wilfrid Laurier University student Evan Sharp was powerbocking in the new quad area on campus when he was told to immediately stop by a member of Laurier Special Constable Services.

Powerbocking involves using spring loaded stilts that enhance a person’s ability to run fast and jump high.

“I’m always looking for new places to go and play around, especially with variable heights in concrete,” said Sharp. “The new quad was a neat looking playground.”

A female special constable approached Sharp; he claims that she was quite incredulous with his questions when he asked why he had to stop.

“I just wanted to know my rights,” said Sharp.

Sharp was issued a warning and was told that if he was caught powerbocking on campus again, he would be charged with trespassing and arrested.

Sharp inquired as to why there was no signage up to prevent this sort of activity; however, the constable didn’t have specific details other than that the special constables had been instructed to stop any activity that might damage the area.

“It was frustrating. She admitted that there wasn’t any [official rule saying this activity was prohibited],” said Sharp. “Her main concern was protecting the area, and she said if I wanted to learn more about the rules or file a complaint I could talk to the president’s office.”

“The stilts were leaving black marks,” said Rod Curran, director of special constable services at Laurier.

“We have had problems with skate boarders and trick bike riders already … It’s a beautiful area and we don’t want it damaged.”

Curran noted that such activities have caused $20,000 worth of damage to the fresh concrete at the University of Waterloo campus. “We’re trying to prevent that from happening here,” he said.

Curran added that if Sharp hurt himself on campus, the university would be liable and they didn’t want that to happen.

Sharp stated that he was wearing a helmet throughout all of his tricks.