Sports in brief: Nov. 17, 2010

Hawks win OUA awards

After nine members of Laurier’s football team were named Ontario University Athletics (OUA) all-stars last week, wide receiver Dillon Heap and linebacker Giancarlo Rapanaro were given further provincial accolades.

Heap was awarded the Russ Jackson Athletics and Academics Award, while Rapanaro won the President’s Stand-Up Defensive Player of the Year Award.

Heap, a fourth-year business student, not only led the Hawks in receiving with 41 catches, 466 yards and five touchdowns, but also boasts an 11.4 GPA. Rapanaro, meanwhile, returned to Laurier for his fifth year this season and posted 28.5 tackles, two sacks and two interceptions.

Women’s volleyball winless

After a five-set loss to the Waterloo Warriors on Saturday afternoon, the Golden Hawks women’s volleyball team saw their record fall to 0-4.

After opening their season with four straight road games, the Hawks will play their home opener this Friday at 6:00 p.m. versus the Western Mustangs.

Men’s volleyball downs UW

Laurier’s men’s volleyball team improved their record to 4-3 this past weekend with a win over the Waterloo Warriors in straight sets.

The Hawks sit in a four-way tie for third in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) standings with eight points on the year. This weekend, the Hawks play a pair of home games, starting with a game against the undefeated Western Mustangs on Friday.

–All Compiled by Justin Fauteux