Sports in brief: March 31

Football manager dies

Last night, Laurier’s football team lost its longest serving member as equipment manager Chuck Classen died. Classen had been part of the program for over 30 years.

Visit thecord.ca later in the week for more details.

Montoya returning to Laurier

Last week, the Golden Hawks’ men’s football team announced its first set of recruits for next season, and among them was a familiar face. Defensive end Dave Montoya will be returning to Laurier to play out his final year of eligibility.

Montoya –whose younger brother Mike is currently on the Hawks’ roster– previously played for Laurier from 2003-06. The Burlington native was a key part of the Laurier team that claimed the Vanier Cup in 2005, being named defensive MVP in the national championship game.

Hawks take part in all-star game

Last Wednesday, a team made up of the top female hockey players from the OUA defeated Team Canada’s under-18 women’s hockey team 4-2 in an exhibition game, and five Hawks were on the roster for the university all-stars.

Forwards Andrea Ironside, Katherine Shirriff and Candice Styles, as well as defenceman Stephanie Crarey and goalie Liz Knox were all part of the team, with Styles scoring the final goal of the game.

Laurier to honour ‘outstanding woman’

This afternoon, Laurier’s athletics department will present the fourth annual Outstanding Woman of Laurier award to one of four nominees.

The award is presented to a female student athlete who demonstrates exceptional academic and athletic achievement, combined with leadership in the community.

This year’s nominees are: Liz Knox of the women’s hockey team, Brittany Shaw of the swim team, Megan Gilmore of the women’s volleyball team and Danielle Inglis of the women’s curling team.

The award will be presented at a luncheon where all the proceeds will be donated to women’s athletic programs, scholarships and Laurier’s mentor coaching programs.