Sports in brief

Women’s rugby blown out by Guelph
The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks women’s rugby team took a beating Saturday night as the No.1 nationally ranked Guelph Gryphons defeated the Hawks 110-0 at University Stadium. Guelph led 41-0 after the first half and would not let up, as they scored an additional 69 points in the second half, exploding the moment the second half began. Laurier drops to 0-3 on the season and will face the Brock Badgers in St. Catharines on Saturday, before returning home on Oct. 5 to finish off their season against the Western Mustangs.

Men’s baseball shuts out Brock in 1-0 win
Brett van Pelt’s pitching performance Sunday against the Brock Badgers in the second game of a doubleheader gave the Hawks a motivating 1-0 win. After dropping the first game of the doubleheader 13-2, Laurier bounced back, with van Pelt scattering two hits, four walks and nine strikeouts. Laurier moves to 5-3 on conference play and will play this week against the Western Mustangs, the McMaster Marauders and the Waterloo Warriors.

Cornwall makes WLU history at Invitational
Laurier’s cross country team competed over the weekend, and Adam Cornwall’s 10th-place finish at the Western Invitational ended up being the best ever by a Laurier runner at an event. The previous best finish in the individual competition was a 27th-place finish by Shoaib Ikram in 2010. The Western Invitational also hosted its largest field ever and featured a number of All-Canadians from the previous season. The Hawks finished 12th as a team out of 18 teams. The next meet for the cross country team is this weekend in Guelph.

Campbell, Brown named athletes of the week
Women’s soccer striker Emily Brown and men’s football running back Dillon Campbell were named this week’s athletes of the week. Brown scored a pair of goals on the weekend to help the Hawks get four points. She scored the game winner against UOIT and the only tally from Laurier in a 1-1 tie with York. Campbell rushed for 155 yards and two touchdowns on 15 carries Saturday against Western, including a 100-yard rush, which is the second longest from scrimmage in Laurier history. The longest was 103 yards in 2007. He now sits in the top spot of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) statistics for rushing and third in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) with 538 yards.

Women’s hockey 2-2 in preseason action
After finishing up a weekend in Montreal, the women’s hockey team is currently 2-2 in non-conference action. After a 3-2 win against the Waterloo Warriors and a 3-2 loss to the Western Mustangs, the Hawks headed to Montreal where they defeated the defending CIS champions, the Montreal Carabins, 3-2 after 18 rounds of penalty shots. Hayley Baxter became the hero for the Hawks, scoring in the 18th round, while rookie goaltender Amanda Smith held strong. The Hawks also lost 5-3 to the McGill Martlets. The next stretch of preseason action is this weekend at the Gaels Invitational before opening the season on Oct. 4.
–Compiled by Shelby Blackley