Should you get H1N1 vaccinated?

With the H1N1 vaccine becoming available in Canada soon, it should be discussed that many students avoid getting vaccinated for various reasons.

Some students believe in the myths and misconceptions surrounding vaccines, come others are concerned with the possible long-term effects that may arise and then there are those that are just lazy.

Is it really worth getting the H1N1 vaccine?

It has been recorded that 83 people have died in Canada from swine flu; 25 of those are in Ontario, which has the second highest death rate of any Canadian province.

Furthermore, 72 per cent of the victims of swine flu have been women. There has been a high mortality rate in young, healthy people.

It appears that the student population is at risk. And, especially in residence life, it is apparent that the swine flu could spread more quickly in the university.

But is the vaccine safe?

According to Andre Picard, the Globe and Mail’s public health reporter, the H1N1 vaccine is not a new or experimental vaccine – it is the same as past flu vaccines only with a different antigen.

Furthermore, Health Canada has taken no shortcuts in approving the safety of the vaccine.

But there are also several personal issues people face when dealing with vaccines, such as their own reservations about needles and drugs that deserve consideration.

However, as the flu is contagious, one also has to wonder if it is worth compromising those anxieties in order to minimize the spread of the disease to protect those that are more vulnerable.

This includes pregnant women, new-born children and those undergoing chemotherapy or taking inhaled steroids with deteriorated immune systems.

Being knowledgeable about the benefits and consequences allows you to make the best decision for yourself when it comes to being vaccinated.