Season ends for women’s soccer

(Photo courtesy of Armando Tura/UVIC Athletics).

VICTORIA, B.C. – And with one shot, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks saw their second national championship in a row get thrown away in two simple games.

Two games that included Laurier losing 2-1 in their first game and 1-0 in the second — the same fate they felt one year ago.

Friday afternoon, Laurier met the Sherbrooke Vert et Or for the first time ever in competition at the consolation semi-final of the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) national championship.

And in a game that only held the reward of having the ability to play for fifth place, the Hawks salvaged their spirits from their 2-1 loss against the Trinity Western Spartans Thursday afternoon and walked out on the field.

But that would be about as much as they did.

“I thought they played poorly,” said head coach Barry MacLean. “I didn’t think they competed well. I don’t know if it was layover from the game yesterday but in the first 55 minutes until we got scored on, I don’t think we competed and I think there weren’t enough players that played with the intensity and character that they needed to.”

The Hawks turned the ball over on countless occasions throughout the first half and were unable to capitalize on the few chances they generated. On the other side, Sherbrooke’s Andréanne Gagné found the crossbar twice and just missed the net within the first 20 minutes.

Nothing would come of the first half, however the second half would continue to be dominated by the Vert and Or.

In the 50th minute, rookie Anne Gauthier-Dussureault beat Katrina Ward to put the Vert et Or ahead 1-0.

This would prove to be all that was needed, as the Hawks were unable to capitalize in the final 30 minutes, on their way to elimination.

The game also marked the first time Sherbrooke has ever won a Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) game

Ward made three saves on four shots while her counterpart, Elena Waldispuehl, made five saves on five shots.

“Kat Ward did very, very well and she’s improved on where she’s come from over the course of the season,” MacLean said. “[She] is phenomenal.”

Laurier has four graduating players, consisting of Krista Cellucci, Jess Carter, Kelsey Abbott and Erin Grand.

“They had great seasons,” MacLean said. “I’m proud of all of them. They’ve given a lot of Laurier. It’s unfortunately that today didn’t go better for those three and for Erin Grand as well. But it is the way it is.”

Sherbrooke will now play for fifth place on Saturday against the Dalhousie Tigers at 2:30 p.m. PST.